Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bodie

Re: Bodie

My map, though pretty out of date by about 28 years, shows Bodie as a state park. Doesn't California have a web site that tells where you can find a campground nearby?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Thoreson View Post
    My map, though pretty out of date by about 28 years, shows Bodie as a state park. Doesn't California have a web site that tells where you can find a campground nearby?
    Bodie SHP

Camping
    There is no camping at Bodie. You must camp at least three miles from Bodie on BLM land. Fire restrictions are often in effect.

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post

As I recall, there is a National Forest site part way up the road to Bodie, near the Bristlecone Pines, but I don't recall if there are camping facilities there. You should be able to find it on a map, however.
    Quote Originally Posted by steve simmons View Post
    There aren't any Bristlecones on the road to Bodie. They are further south out of Big Pine where the elevation is higher

I also don't think there is a campground up either road to Bodie.

Come on Barker, if you are going to post get the info correct. Posting wrong info could get somebody who relies on the info into a lot of trouble. For everyone's safety this type of info should always be checked out beforehand.

steve simmons
    Shouldn't anyone take most of what they read on free internet forums with a grain of salt, anyway? I would hope that anyone using logistical information from this website would double check it before planning a definite trip...

The bristlecone pines are about 24 miles outside of Big Pine. Big Pine is on the road to Bodie (395) if you're coming from the south. The National Forest ranger station is right there in Big Pine, just after the turn on the road to the bristlecone pines. A few miles south of the Patriarch bristlecone grove in the White mountains is a great campground, at about 10,00 feet up, with awesome skies for stargazing and it's usually pretty empty. It's actually pretty cheap, too- a $3.00 donation per night is recommended. However, this campground is probably about a 3 hour drive to Bodie.

As has been mentioned before, the Virginia Creek settlement, on the 395 about 15 miles north of Lee Vining, is much closer to Bodie (about half an hour to 45 minutes) and has more facilities, and there are also a number of National Forest service campgrounds along the 395 between Lone Pine and Lee Vining. Have a look at the NFS website. By the way, Bodie is only opened from 9:00 to 5:00 (summer hours may be slightly longer), so the rangers will kick you out just as the light is getting good.
    Brian Vuillemenot

Probably too late but the Tioga Lodge is about 15 miles S of Bodie at the base of Conway Summit and in view of Mono Lake. A gorgeous spot. Didn't Ansel Adam's grand daughter own this? Anybody know? I remember something about that. Camping this time of year at 8500 feet can be very cool in the early AM. You can drive on up towards Aurora and just find a place to wilderness camp. Or take the road up to Masonic and camp near there.

Ralph, can you tell me what model the golf cart is? It looks fantastic the way you have it loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Probably too late but the Tioga Lodge is about 15 miles S of Bodie at the base of Conway Summit and in view of Mono Lake. A gorgeous spot. Didn't Ansel Adam's grand daughter own this? Anybody know? I remember something about that. Camping this time of year at 8500 feet can be very cool in the early AM. You can drive on up towards Aurora and just find a place to wilderness camp. Or take the road up to Masonic and camp near there.
    Hi, I think you might be thinking of the Mono Inn owned by the Adams?

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

We were at Bodie last week and the commentators are correct, there is no camping at the Bodie State Park. Also, even though it isa higher elevation, during the day it was bright, hot, and dry. I would recommend you bring your own water.....that ground water may not be too tastie.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Jim,

That's the Mono Inn, owned by Ansel's grand daughter (she even looks a bit like Ansel though I can't think of her name.)

Don Bryant

The Mono Inn is owned by Ansel's son and daughter-in-law Michael and Jean Adams and run by a grand daughter - Sarah. I don't know if there is lodging there, they were going to build some a few years ago but I do not know if they did. The food is good for dinner but not cheap.

As I said, there is no camping in the Bodie area. Otherwise, there have been many good suggestions.

steve simmons

Right neighborhood, wrong Inn.