Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: An easy way to carry a Linhof opened - the "maxi-toploader".

LJ Segil

Re: An easy way to carry a Linhof opened - the "maxi-toploader".

Hopefully the work will go smoothly. It's a Master Technika, so cams ought to (in theory) be available, and I have all the original rangefinder parts. Bob Watkins of Precision Camera Works here in the Chicago area has the camera and I hope is having fun putting it all back together. If he can locate the appropriate cams I'm going with a 3 lens setup of the 110/5.6 SSXL, a 150/4.5 Apo Lanthar (formerly Vick Ko's, thank you so much Vick), and a 210/4.5 Heliar, which I think will provide a nice range of focal lengths, hopefully a bit of the classic look that I like, enough aperture to allow faster shutter speeds to help avoid movement artifact (my tremor!), and also allow for some nice subject isolation with a limited DOF (and hopefully take advantage of the sweet sharp to OOF rendition of the Heliar and Apo Lanthar). Or at least that's how I imagine things should work. More likely the first time I pick up the camera I'll trip over my own feet, fall, and destroy the whole thing.

By the way, I had a run of good luck recently picking up some nice quality Grafmatics at reasonable ($70 or less) prices off eBay, enough of them that I am out of the market now. Perhaps you too might get lucky there too, especially with me out of the running (need to think of another way to flush my money down the toilet as is my wont. Books, I think, want to look at pretty pictures and imagine that someday I might make some).

Thanks to all, I have appreciated the advice and suggestions and even tried to heed most of it. Certainly I am the better off for all of your help.

Best,
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by ljsegil View Post
    Hopefully the work will go smoothly. It's a Master Technika, so cams ought to (in theory) be available, and I have all the original rangefinder parts. Bob Watkins of Precision Camera Works here in the Chicago area has the camera and I hope is having fun putting it all back together. If he can locate the appropriate cams
    Marflex is the only authorized Linhof service station in the USA. That is why he is the sole source of new, uncut, factory cams in the USA. As long as you have lenses with standard focal lengths and are not trying to cam an Imagon (can't be cammed) then Marflex has the cams and focus scales and infinity stops that you will need.

Have you checked with them?

252 652-4401.

LJ Segil

I believe Martin is Bob's source for cams.
    LJS

Jean-Louis Llech

Well, Larry, that's good news if you can use your MT with the rangefinder. I'm glad if we could help you.
    Now welcome to the MT/RF/HH* addict club !
    * MasterTechnika/RangeFinder/HandHeld

LJ Segil

Hi Jean-Louis,
    Although I don't feel like I will qualify for true full membership in your club until I have had the camera back and had the opportunity to waste/use some actual film, I am honored to be included in your illustrious organization. Meeting weekly, I trust? Bring in refreshments or catered? Convenient to Chicago, photo mecca of the midwest, I hope? No finer locale for such an organization can I imagine. Can't wait!
    Seriously, once more thanks to all, as always this forum is nothing if not thoughtful and helpful.
    Best,
    Larry

Jean-Louis Llech

To be honest, Larry people who use a (nearly) 8lb camera handheld are a bit crazy. But happy to do it ! Don't worry it is not (too) contagious.