Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Repro-Claron f/9 210 mm

Repro-Claron f/9 210 mm

I acquired this lens for payment for printing from a "starving artist" client. (I get a lot of equipment this way.) Has a Copal 0 shutter that in great shape. I was wondering if any of you tech types can tell me anything about this lens other than it's a "flat field" used for copy work. What are the effective magnifications and/or could this be effective for photographing large areas like murals? My guess this one was made in the early '60's. It came with a Calumet monorail with a 24" bellows 4x5 camera that needs a little tlc if someone needs it. I plan on keeping the lens.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Re: Repro-Claron f/9 210 mm

You may or may not know that the Repro-Clarons are mildly radioactive. Thorium was used in making the glass. There are a number of posts here that talk about this. Appropriate care in storage is advised.
    Dave B.

I seen that in my research. I was wondering if they all were and how much? Being that I'm already 60, how long will it take to kill me?
    Greg Lockrey

Money is just a tool.

Look through the lens at a white piece of paper. If you see tea-colored discoloration you have a hot one. Treatment over several weeks with a strong UV light (I used the Feit brand 15 compact florescent bulb) will essentially eliminate that. Schneider has serial number ranges and dates on their web site if you want to find the date of production.

I have your lens and the 305 and two longer versions. The 305 screws into a Copal 2 shutter and I front mount the longer ones on the same. I use mine for general landscape photography. They are exceptional performers. They do not have the coverage of the G Clarons but they are very useful within their limits. The 210 covers 4X5 at infinity with lots of room for movement, the 305 is terrific for 5X7. A 210 lens in a copal 0 with performance like that is very useful. I am sure they are wonderful for close ups and artwork but since I do neither I can't speak from personal experience. The 210 is most often used on my Crown Graphic since it is so small and light.

In a bright light it looks slightly yellow, but hardly noticable. Serial number puts it between Jan-Oct of '67. The previous owner used it to make transperencies of architectural renderings.
    Greg Lockrey

Money is just a tool.

It's an early one and probably radioactive. Serial number somewhere around the 9's?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    It's an early one and probably radioactive. Serial number somewhere around the 9's?
    10 235 xxx
    Greg Lockrey

Money is just a tool.

In coverage and sharpness they act very like a Goerz RD Artar. They have one benefit over the Artar. It is the most compact 210mm lens in existence. The next closest rivals are the 203 Ektar, same general design but slightly faster, and the Nikkor M 200mm.

It's a fully symmetrical dialyte lens. four individual elements. Schneider rated the angle of view at only 48 degrees, bui the 210 still gives room for movements on 4" X 5".

It was intended for more than just copy work. It was optimized for close-up work in the range 1:10 to 10:1, very good for product photography and the like, but not limited to that range. The dialyte type is well known for working well at a large range of subject:image ratios, even to infinity.

You will sometimes see "flat field" referred to as though there were some characteristic keeping process lenses from being used to photograph three-dimensional subjects. I don't know of any lens characteristic of this nature.

Thanks all, this was the kind of information that I was looking for.
    Greg Lockrey

Money is just a tool.