Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Camera moves when changing film holders..

Camera moves when changing film holders..

How do y'all prevent your cameras from moving around when you change film holders? This is also a problem when using polaroid/fuji instant backs when removing the films. I realize that you have to tighten everything as much as possilbe from the tripod/tripod head perspective, but what else do you do?

Re: Camera moves when changing film holders..

A bail back will solve these problems. There was recent thread on bail backs. I got mine for my Wisner made by Richard Ritter for a hundred bucks. It works great.

On my Horseman 4x5 I grab the spring loaded back and actually pull it open from the middle (like a bail might do) with my hand (large hands) and slide the film holder in and out gently.

Two of my 4x5 cameras have bails, The third does not. If you have a camera with a bail (a sort of lever to mechanically open the film gate for a large format), it is less torque on the camera itself and less chance of turning or moving the camera while loading or unloading a holder.

You hit the nail on the head with the need to tighten everything down. Regardless of which camera I use, I set the camera pointing a few degrees to the left of my subject and then tighten the tripod screw. When that is tight, I hold tight to the tripod head and actually use the monorail or camera bed to turn the camera back to square with the subject. That puts some strain on the camera, so I don't jerk it, just gently twist it into place to really lock it onto the tripod screw.

If I'm using one of my tripods with a mounting plate, I use the biggest coin I can find or a big screwdriver to tighten the plate onto the camera and then try to get just one more little twist out of that.

After that, when I'm actually putting a holder into the camera without the bale, I hold the gate open with my left hand while gently levering the holder into the gate. Then I put my left hand firmly over the left side of the back while gently pushing the holder into it's final seat.

You can still cause movement for the next shot when taking it out, so I again hold the gate open a bit with the left hand while gently pulling the holder out.

That's about it for me.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Quote Originally Posted by blevblev View Post
    How do y'all prevent your cameras...
    Is it permissible for anyone from Long Island to use y'all?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

try this thread for reasons for bail backs; http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=37262
    Lauren MacIntosh

Whats in back of you is the past and whats in front of you is the future now in the middle you have choices to make for yourself:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    Is it permissible for anyone from Long Island to use y'all?
    Well, I did room with a guy from Nashville in college, and that was in Florida. I think I might qualify for some kind of dispensation, no?

Can someone post a photo of a 'bail back' so I might understand what it is?

You could pull the back off, insert the holder, and put it back on. I do that sometimes when I have a holder that won't slide in smoothly.

I pull the gg frame away with my thumb and index finger while pushing back on the rest of the camera with my remaining 3 fingers. Works all the time.

steve simmons