Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: View Camera

Re: View Camera

Just another thought on the subject of dropping newsstand sales.

I subscribe to several magazines and the list is based on the available amount of time I have available to read them,how much interest there I have in the material that they tend to offer, and my budget.

There is another class of magazine where I am not a subscriber but I keep an eye out for it on the newsstand in case a specific issue is of particular interest to me. Occasionally a magazine in this class gets promoted to my "subscription" class.

I used to buy a copy of Lens Work at my local camera store if there was a photographer or subject matter of interest to me. I enjoy the magazine and consider it well done but it just did not make it to my my "subscription" class. But who knows, eventually I might have subscribed as my interests change, available time changes, and budget changes. But that is not likely to happen now because I won't see it in my camera store anymore. Out of sight, out of mind. So while I may not have contributed financially to that magazine by purchasing it at a newsstand, as long as the magazine at least breaks evens on it, it may have been worthwhile because I might have eventually become a subscriber.

Thanks to all for taking the time to make their comments, suggestions, etc.

Here are my thoughts at the moment.

Continue the hard copy, for subscribers and retail. I might raise the price of the retail copies.

Make a PDF version available to people in the US. PDF retains the formatting of the pages. I simply do not have time to redo the online version w/o the ads. Some people like the ads as they are an ongoing resource.

Digitizing all the back copies is not practical. Some of the early years are on DAT tapes and very difficult to read. We do have an Index through Jan 2000 on the web site for anyone interested.

Thanks again and if there are more comments I am happy to read them.

steve simmons

Steve,

First of all, I'm relieved to hear that newstand copies will still be available. I would not object to paying more for my newstand copy if that means I can still get it.

As far as digitizing back issues go, I have a suggestion. A scientific journal that I subscribe to decided to digitize its back issues and had similar problems to the ones you described. Their solution was to call upon the subscriber base to pitch in and scan 1 back issue per person to create a PDF file. The file itself would not be searchable because each page would be an image, but combined with an on-line index, this allowed everyone to find whatever issue they were interested in and view it on screen/download it.

I suspect there would be some support amongst your subscribers to carry out such a project.

Paul

Steve,

Thanks for keeping the hard copy! I'm another who wouldn't subscribe on line but will continue for the hard copy. Also, the class of mail doesn't matter as i simply read it when it get here.

Paul

PS

We have scanned and made into CD collections articles about

lenses
    view camera technique
    Buying and Modifying the Graphic Cameras
    variable contrast printing

that are available.

steve simmons

Retain the hard copy. I would have no interest in an on line version.

Timely delivery has never been a personal concern and the extra fee for first class seems unnecessary. For the record, as a 20 year subscriber, I have never received an issue in less than excellent condition. Perhaps I have been lucky.

My two cents, keep up the good work!

Thanks for link Steve.

I am a subscriber for many years. Another reason to keep the paper version is that I like to cut out and save articles in different files in my darkroom-very helpful for referring back to different topics.
    Since we are all view camera users, I suspect most will want the paper copy, just like we prefer film and paper in our photography.

I like paper copy, never had any problem with delivery. Sorry, once it was, but one phone call rectified the problem. I do not care about retail, if I like magazine I am subscriber.
    If it would be online only publication I would not subscribe.

Quote Originally Posted by steve simmons View Post
    Here are some thoughts about the future

offering a first class subscription to people in the US. This would cost about 40/year for 6 issues

offering an online sub to people in the US

dropping retail distribution. This is close to a loser for magazines such as View Camera.

????????????????

steve simmons
    newsstand sales for all magazines have dropped over the past year for bookstores due to the sluggish economy. when the recession is over, i'm sure they'll pick back up. i hate to see yet another fine art photography magazine not offer new photographers a source of inspiration on newsstands.... photo-eye, lenswork... come on, Steve!