Thread: Zone VI Timer - Worth Fixing?

Zone VI Timer - Worth Fixing?

My newly acquired Zone VI compensating timer has developed a problem. It is not completely dead - just fails to run consistently. I suspect that there is some component that needs to be replaced because when it does decide to work everything seems to be functioning. LEDs light up, switches seem OK, works fine on focus, just doesn't start when the "start" button is pressed.

So, Is it worth fixing? Or it is just time to junk it and go back to using my old timer? I will loose the compensating feature, but I was not having printing problems before I got the Zone VI - I am using a Zone VI type 2 enlarger with the VC head.

If I do the repair - Is Calumet my only choice, or are there other places that work on these?

Re: Zone VI Timer - Worth Fixing?

These things sell pretty well on Ebay. You could probably get $100 for your as-is model. Maybe just the start switch is bad. You could also try cleaning the switches with some contact cleaner. There may have been a common problem that Calumet knows about and can cheaply fix. Otherwise finding an intermittent problem may be expensive. Check the price of other ones on Ebay before paying a lot for repairs.

Also doesn't the Zone VI VC head have a built-in stabilizing feature? With that you really don't need a compensating timer. The head should take care of the problem.

I've seen the paper timer go for >$200 on Ebay. Don't know about the enlarging timer.

I was able to fix it -

I decided to open it up and look at some of the simple possible problems. Turns out the "start" switch was bad. The spring contacts had lost their tension and there was some "crude" on them. While the switch was attached to the pc board, it was fairly easy to get it off and I did have a small momentary switch in my parts bin that I was able to wire to the board's pads. It now seems to be working OK, but will need to run a few tests to see for sure. There was also some rather nasty smelling grease leaking from the three time setting switches, I cleaned that up also. (I am not sure why there would have been that much grease in the switches). It took me about 4 hours to do the repair from start to finish.

So, to answer my own question, it was worth trying to fix it.