Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which lab to process 4x5 Velvia in Philadelphia and Times Square?

Re: Which lab to process 4x5 Velvia in Philadelphia and Times Square?

Thank you Abigail and Mel -
    I definitely will take the train to LTI, L&I or Duggal - thank you so much for the warning on the stale chemicals... I will be arriving in NYC on Sunday and look forward to venturing around the city a little. Although I'm finding the Amish farms to be a nice switch from the concrete jungle.

Michie

Quote Originally Posted by abigail simon View Post
    Hi Michie---

I would strongly recommend LTI, or any of the labs in Chelsea (L&I, Duggal or Color Edge) over modernage....Modern Age is good for other things but not so much for processing as the lab does relatively little work and the chemicals sit, the turn around is longer and they make a lot of mistakes. I teach at the International Center of Photography which is two blocks away and going to Chelsea is worth the 10 minute trip on the train!
    This is my sense as well. They used to do a really high volume of film processing and wet printing, but as they started shifting more to digital services it hasn't been the same.

The owner of LTI also owns Sixty-Eight Degrees, which is a pretty good B&W lab, though I haven't used them recently since Patty Katchur left a couple of years ago.

Just waiting to be developed..

Hi David,

Eric is a great guy. I met him a couple of weeks ago after they did my 12x20 D&C.
    He also run an alternate process workshop upstairs. They have some great workshops and lots of old and unique cameras.
    LTI, 68 degrees and Diapositive are all great labs run by Eric. Top notch quality and service.
    -Ian Mazursky
    www.ianmazursky.com Travel, Landscape, Portraits and my 12x20 diary
    PrePress Express

Yes, I know Eric as well. I've been to a couple of the alt process workshops at what was called the Center for Alternative and Historical Processes (or some similarly cumbersome name), and I think is now called the Center for Alternative Photography, at the old Sixty-Eight Degrees lab when it was around the corner from Pearl Paint. I bought my 11x14" camera from him before I knew he owned these labs or was running the center. He used to have a hot light studio with his 20x24" camera on 17th St., I think it was, and I gather he's moved it to the LTI location.

Thank you Ian and David,
    I think I will be going to LTI to process my transparencies as it has gotten the majority of referrals. I'm just hoping that my nooby understanding of the zone system works out for my images.

Just waiting to be developed..

Hi David,
    He has the AP workshops upstairs in LTI across from 68 print lab.

Michie,
    Good luck. They will take great care of you.

Best,
    -Ian Mazursky
    www.ianmazursky.com Travel, Landscape, Portraits and my 12x20 diary
    PrePress Express

Thumbs up Re: Which lab to process 4x5 Velvia in Philadelphia and Times Square?

Quote Originally Posted by abigail simon View Post
    Hi Michie---

I would strongly recommend LTI, or any of the labs in Chelsea (L&I, Duggal or Color Edge) over modernage....Modern Age is good for other things but not so much for processing as the lab does relatively little work and the chemicals sit, the turn around is longer and they make a lot of mistakes. I teach at the International Center of Photography which is two blocks away and going to Chelsea is worth the 10 minute trip on the train!
    Thank you Abigail, Ian, David and everyone else. I used LTI (Metro is GREAT!) and Julie took very good care of me . Another gentleman behind the desk also came out to help me decipher my chromes and their exposures on the lighttable - exposed for the highlights so hopefully I can bring up the -2/3 underexposed shadows in the scans.... I may even send my velvia back to LTI from San Francisco as Julie said it wasn't a big deal to use Fed-Ex.