Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photo Chemicals in LA

Dave Karp

Photo Chemicals in LA

I used to buy my "mix your own" chemicals from Tri-Ess in Burbank. Sadly, Tri-Ess has been gone for a while.

Does anyone know of another supplier for photo chemicals (other than Freestyle or Calumet) in the Los Angeles area?

The only problem with photo stores is that their selection is pretty limited.

Thanks.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Photo Chemicals in LA

I don't know of a local replacement for Tri-ess. Don't you really miss them... I do too!

Dave Karp

Yes. I do miss them. Everyone there was always so helpful. We could get anything we needed except for glycin, which I don't use (but keep meaning to try Ansco 130).

Plus, they had cool science project kits that I always planned to do with my kids when they were old enough. Now I will have to find them on the web.

We really were spoiled.

I guess I will have to do like everyone else and order from Photo Formulary. Or perhaps Freestyle will order the chemicals from them for me and I can pick it up there. Will have to price out the alternatives.

Thanks.

Eric Woodbury

I still have a few Tri-ESS bottles around, but now use digital truth, the chemistry store, and photogs formulary. This gets me everything I mix. I still have quite a few pounds of hypo and when that runs out, I'll call the local pool supply. I'm mostly mixing developers.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

I MISS 'em too Dave, from 365 miles away. I used to always make a stop when I was down there. I'm still working my way through a pound of Hydroquinone I got there.

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    I used to buy my "mix your own" chemicals from Tri-Ess in Burbank. Sadly, Tri-Ess has been gone for a while.

Does anyone know of another supplier for photo chemicals (other than Freestyle or Calumet) in the Los Angeles area?

The only problem with photo stores is that their selection is pretty limited.

Thanks.
    I get all mine from photoformulary.com .... it just arrives in the mail...

It is a shame that local photo supplies are dwindling, on every level... except for a plethora of cheap digital cameras.

I think Clayton chemicals are made around here but i don't know if they sell to individuals. I believe freestyle will order most things if you ask. I'm now a formulary customer too.

Dave Karp

Thanks all. I will look into Digital Truth, but if the price is right I will probably just order from Freestyle and pick it up at the store.

I did not know how good I had it. Tri-Ess was about ten minutes from my house. Freestyle is only about fifteen minutes away. The big difference is now I will have to plan farther in advance, and make sure I have all the chemicals I might need. I should not complain.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

What I miss more than the convenience of being able to drvie their (20 minutes away for me) and knowing that they would always have anything I needed is the "free lessons" that Ira would always provide - chemistry, safety, and all other aspects of life. He was a very decent guy.

BTW, try looking up Tri-ess with the dot-org domain... VERY different!

Yeah, another vote for missing Tri-ess! I'd go in for one thing but end up with a ton of stuff I never thought I needed. Another good source of photo chemicals is Artcraft, also is there a guy in Canada? I seem to remember his name as Johnny De Lure?