Page 85 of 427 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135185 ... LastLast

Thread: Show off your Large Format camera!

Re: Show off your camera!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Hudson View Post
    Finally finished my 11x14 monorail camera! Apologies for the dramatic lighting in the pictures - it was night when I finally finished!

It's a bit of a hybrid with bits from Arca-Swiss, Sinar and Walker (I don't think this makes it a W**ker, does it?)

I used a 20/30cm Arca split rail and Arca-Swiss Monolith carriers, an early Mike Walker 11x14 back (originally designed to adapt an 8x10 Sinar P to 11x14) and a Sinar front standard for using a Sinar shutter and their nifty swing in filters. Bellows by Camera Bellows, Birmingham (as it was then). A friend with some metalworking machinery helped make some parts such as the front rise extender.

It's pretty rigid and has all the movements but I have nothing similar to compare it with. It is a fair weight but packs down well and can be transported on the 20cm rail.

Lens shown is Schneider 210XL. It will easily take a Fuji-C 600mm, even focused in quite a bit.

I hope to make my first exposures soon......I hope not all the pleasure was in the "chase"!

Phil, that's an outstanding piece of work, excellent

Richard Coda who has frequently posted on here has a hybrid Arca/Canham 11x14 and he posted his finished work on here too

Any idea what the overall cost was..............?

regards

andrew

Here you see my new camera its maybe the only prototype or there are totaly 3 of them nobobdy knows it really!
    The Studio Camera by Hans Fröhlich 2300 Switzerland

With 2 Schneider Tele Arton 270 f 5,5 the camera was made around 1964-65

Cheers Armin

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Plume View Post
    Any idea what the overall cost was..............?
    I never really counted the cost......the Arca-Swiss bits are never very cheap plus I had a number of false starts. I started out using a Sinar P2 base but this was a bit more bulky and the locking on my sample was a bit sloppy.

Slow accumulation of parts and evolving ideas mean that I never had to cost it out too precisely! It's been a background project for 2 years or so!

Quote Originally Posted by Armin Seeholzer View Post
    Here you see my new camera its maybe the only prototype or there are totaly 3 of them nobobdy knows it really!
    The Studio Camera by Hans Fröhlich 2300 Switzerland

With 2 Schneider Tele Arton 270 f 5,5 the camera was made around 1964-65

Cheers Armin

very neat indeed Armin - a smaller Gowland TLR style

andrew

Finally finished my 11x14 monorail camera! Apologies for the dramatic lighting in the pictures - it was night when I finally finished!

It's a bit of a hybrid with bits from Arca-Swiss, Sinar and Walker (I don't think this makes it a W**ker, does it?)

I used a 20/30cm Arca split rail and Arca-Swiss Monolith carriers, an early Mike Walker 11x14 back (originally designed to adapt an 8x10 Sinar P to 11x14) and a Sinar front standard for using a Sinar shutter and their nifty swing in filters. Bellows by Camera Bellows, Birmingham (as it was then). A friend with some metalworking machinery helped make some parts such as the front rise extender.

It's pretty rigid and has all the movements but I have nothing similar to compare it with. It is a fair weight but packs down well and can be transported on the 20cm rail.

Lens shown is Schneider 210XL. It will easily take a Fuji-C 600mm, even focused in quite a bit.

I hope to make my first exposures soon......I hope not all the pleasure was in the "chase"!

That's why you are so busy lately, Any chance for me to see it? I can walk over after work.

Hi Songyun,

I'm still not back in London unfortunately......but I'm back in town on Monday if you're still here then.

I'll send you an email.

Hi Songyun,

I'm still not back in London unfortunately......but I'm back in town on Monday if you're still here then.

I'll send you an email.
    no problem, I am still hanging here....

Here's the infamous Toyo Metal Field 4-3/4 x 6-1/2 inch camera. I bought it from Andrew Plume in the UK for $750 with 5x7 and 4x5 backs. I was surprised to find it came with a 5x7 DeVere back substituted for the OEM back, so it is a little heavier and bulkier this way. It folds to 9x11x4 inches and weight IDK, half of a Linhof. The removable back plate is easy to duplicate so you could adapt other back to the camera. It only has 14-inches of bellows and rear tilt, front rise/tilt/swing, all friction-based, only the front focus is geared. It is solid but not Linhof-solid, think more of a 1970s Datsun Pick-up truck. The bellows is like a Crown Graphic, thick yet sturdy. It uses Crown Graphic lensboards which is nice too.

I'm using a vintage 180mm Linhof Symmar (per Christopher Broadbent!) and a Tiltall, it seems well balanced and a good match. A Plexi GG protector from Keith Canham rounds out the outfit. Thanks to everyone here who helped me buy holders, etc. Now would someone kindly buy that old Arca Swiss 4x5 from me please?

Looks good, Frank. Did the DeVere back need any modification to be fitted?