Page 244 of 427 FirstFirst ... 144194234242243244245246254294344 ... LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,440 of 4262

Thread: Show off your Large Format camera!

Re: Show off your Large Format camera!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    Hijacking thread: What DID happen to the Deardorff saga?
    Ongoing, look it up on here, there are two main threads, recent updates as well, the search feature is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    on behalf of the esteemed Mr. Hiroshi Sugimoto with "his beloved R. H. Phillips and Sons 8x10 camera":

and the accompanying article:http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/09/ar...anted=all&_r=0
    I like the description of black clad Ninja dodging a light source during the 3.5 minute exposure.

Very cool for a 64 year old shooter...like me.
    Tin Can

Kodak 2D (5x7), Wollensak 9" Verito f:4.0, BTZS hood, SLIK 700DX 'pod, K2 Series 8 filter in Kodak sunshade.
    The Verito came to me in a Copal #3S shutter. It is mounted on a "top-hat" Technika board, with adapter to the 2D. (I'm working on a new 2D board for it, and a 10X ND filter is on order.)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.JPG 
Views:	141 
Size:	125.1 KB 
ID:	128800
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Norma Gets a Verito

The temperature moderated slightly today and the wind finally settled down (it must be changing direction 'cause that's about the only time it stops), so I went outside to play or, more accurately, to get some "familiarization training". Some of these things I dream up I need to try to put together practically to see if it will really work. So today I put the 14 1/2" Verito on the Sinar Norma with the Sinar shutter in place as the old Studio shutter is far from being a sync'd operation.

The Verito has a Studio shutter situated amidship leaving a lot of barrel on each end. Clearly, placing the Sinar shutter in its usual spot attached to the back side of the front standard wouldn't work.

The solution is to use an intermediate standard and put the shutter on that, then position it smack at the rear of the rear element. An accessory bellows keeps the dark inside; in this case a bag bellows (which obviously needs cleaning). In the photo the intermediate standard needs to be snugged up against the back of the lens. And now she's ready to go with flash sync on the Sinar shutter.

The Norma is shown atop a Sinar Pan/Tilt head atop a Gitzo G1548 tripod. It's quite stable in that configuration. I had thought that the 8x10 Norma would benefit from having two tripod blocks and that's how I have it set up for studio use on top of my Linhof tripod. But the single tripod block on the Gitzo legs is plenty adequate as long as you keep it balanced.

Last edited by William Whitaker; 31-Jan-2015 at 19:33.

I likey!
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    Kodak 2D (5x7), Wollensak 9" Verito f:4.0, BTZS hood, SLIK 700DX 'pod, K2 Series 8 filter in Kodak sunshade.
    The Verito came to me in a Copal #3S shutter. It is mounted on a "top-hat" Technika board, with adapter to the 2D. (I'm working on a new 2D board for it, and a 10X ND filter is on order.)

Name:	002.JPG 
Views:	141 
Size:	125.1 KB 
ID:	128800
    Nice combo. Do you get any mechanical vignetting with this setup or does it give f/4?

Will,

These Norma's are gorgeous cameras. I bought recently one of these from UK, and it's crossing the Atlantic Ocean right now. One OT thing I would like to ask you, what type of aluminium cleaning product can I use to clean the rail and alu-exposed parts?

I have already a Sinar F2 and a Sinar Copal shutter, and was trying to figure out how to use long back lenses with this shutter as the Verito, and have arrived to the same setup you're using.

But there is one danger: moving the front standard back and front one can touch the leaves of the shutter with the lens, and depending of the strenght it touches, ruining it. The operation has to be carried out with the WA bellows open to inspect how close the back of the lens is toward the shutter. With the F2 and other more recent cameras, there is a hexagonal shaped hole to fit the Sinar bellows rail. the idea is to use the long rail between the front and intermediate standard to maintain the distance between both always fixed when moving the front standard. I'm not sure if the Norma uses the same bellows rail, but it would be a good idea with the Sinar camera models which accept it.

Cheers,

Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Smigiel View Post
    Nice combo. Do you get any mechanical vignetting with this setup or does it give f/4?
    Thanks.
    No vignetting. I don't know about maximum speed yet. There's a 45mm aperture which calculates out to f:5.08, but that is if it were a meniscus lens. As soon as I get some new batteries for my TTL meter I will be able to peg it exactly.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by RSalles View Post
    Will,

These Norma's are gorgeous cameras. I bought recently one of these from UK, and it's crossing the Atlantic Ocean right now. One OT thing I would like to ask you, what type of aluminium cleaning product can I use to clean the rail and alu-exposed parts?
    I've never tried cleaning the polished aluminum parts. I would start with a clean, soft, dry rag and go from there. When I cleared the oxidation from the cast aluminum parts I went over those with 3M Adhesive Remover sprayed from an aerosol can and wiped them clean of grit and dust. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by RSalles View Post

But there is one danger: moving the front standard back and front one can touch the leaves of the shutter with the lens, and depending of the strenght it touches, ruining it. The operation has to be carried out with the WA bellows open to inspect how close the back of the lens is toward the shutter. With the F2 and other more recent cameras, there is a hexagonal shaped hole to fit the Sinar bellows rail. the idea is to use the long rail between the front and intermediate standard to maintain the distance between both always fixed when moving the front standard. I'm not sure if the Norma uses the same bellows rail, but it would be a good idea with the Sinar camera models which accept it.

Cheers,

Renato
    The Sinar shutter will open and remain open when the red tab on the side is depressed. I always leave the blades retracted whenever installing, removing, adjusting or storing the shutter. The backside of the 14 1/2" Verito is too big to pass through the shutter aperture. For that same reason, it's important to get the shutter as close as possible to the lens to avoid vignetting. But as always, care is required...

Hi at all.
    Yesterday, -13° first output of my Chamonix 8x10 on Dolomites / Italian Alps,
    on the background the Monte Pelmo 3168mt altitude.

Name:	chamonix 8x10.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	169.6 KB 
ID:	128813