Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linhof Technikardan v Ebony 45SU

Linhof Technikardan v Ebony 45SU

Hi

I have narrowed my choice into these two cameras, now mostly I will be shooting landscapes, I like the Asymmetrical movements of the Ebony and I also like the metal frame of the Linhof.

Please share your field experience with me, pros and cons on each.

Re: Linhof Technikardan v Ebony 45SU

Hi More,

I was working with a Technikardan one afternoon - rigidity struck me as modest, and little green plastic itsybitsies fell off the camera... nowhere nearly as well made as the 70s Linhofs... It folds up relatively compact and thats great when you´re the guy that gets his camera out of it´s aluminium case after arriving in the studio, whereas for the field, a camera that needs to disassembled down to the bellows each time sounds less convincing.
    On the Ebony I can´t comment, but on assymetrical movements (had them on the P1), the use of which is beyond me, since the middle of the picture still does most logically seem to be the ideal place for the axis, what else?

regards,
    M

I can't say about the ocnstruction of the current Linhof cameras but my Master Technika that I used for 30 years was a tank and my technika 70 that I owned prior to the master was equally as fine. I haven't even seen a current production Linhof but recently pruchased an Ebony SV45Te and could not be happier with a wooden view. I used Deardorff 8x10's for 35 years and love them and still own one but the Ebony take wood to a higher level. Construction, design, function and quality materials are the equal of the generation of Linhof's that I've grown to love. I don't know about the asymetrical movements but i can say the quality of Ebony cameras is tops.

Strange that you'd narrow the field down to these two cameras since they're such totally different cameras. But there are two very detailed reviews of the Technikardan in the camera review section of this forum, one from someone who liked his a lot (Paul Butzi) and one from someone who didn't (me).

In addition to the Technikardan I've owned two Ebonys (SVTi and SVTe). Neither was as firm, solid, precise, well made, or as pleasurable to use for me as the Linhof Technika V I had been using (sorry Don) and I found the three-wheel focusing system a pain to use with some lenses. So I sold them and bought a Linhof Master Technika. If you like a metal camera, as I do, the Technika models are much more comparable to the Ebony you're considering than the Technikardan.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Still Developing

Hi MRF,

I'm an Ebony 45SU user and I have used a linhof previously (but only during a workshop).

The main pluses for the linhof are rigidity at long extensions, nice control over tilt, shift etc., compact once folded, nice bellows. The negatives I noticed were the way it folds (although I couldn't see that this should be a big factor), the size (it is bigger than a collapsed 45su by my reckoning).

The 45su's advantages are asymmetric tilt (which I have to say is something I really, really like, although I'm sure I could cope with centre tilt), beauty (it's a wonderfully built beast), ease of setup. The disadvantages are, instability at long extension, variable stiffness on the focussng levers, movement when locking down swing.

Overall, if I were to buy again, I'd get the Ebony mainly for ease of setup and asymettric tilt. I wouldn't get a stock 45SU though. I'd get a modified 45SU with the rear swing and shift disabled to save about 1lb and some stability..

If I were after the technically better camera, the Linhof would probably the one but with beauty and ease of use taken into account, the Ebony wins..

Tim

At your price range you should consider an Arca Swiss -- they fold down compactly too, albeit not in the same way. The regular Linhof Technika is pretty nice too -- both would be more robust than either of the above.

I've been using my Linhof TK45s now for about a year or so and while it has worked well, I recently had an opportunity to look at and try the Arca Swiss field with micrometrix, and honestly I think the Arca Swiss beats the TK.

As a result, at some point I will likely move to the Arca, although both are very good cameras, so I don't think you would go wrong with a TK, but if you have the opportunity to compare a TK and an Arca Swiss (preferably the Field), you should do it.

Still Developing

Hmm... I must admit the Arca Swiss would be a camera I would have to look seriously at. When I was buying I hadn't considered it but since then the more I've learnt the more I've realised what a good camera tthey make..

Tough decision..

Tim

Having owned both a 45SU Ebony and a 45 Orbix Metric Arca, IMO both are simply outstanding with their own respective advantages.

However due to the ease of transport and setup, I would choose an Ebony (plus they are simply beautiful).

I have used Ebony SV45U2, 45SU, Linhof MT and Arca F-Metric. If you can stand limited movements, get a Linhof Master Technika. Otherwise, go for an Arca Swiss Field with micrometric orbix which is the most versatile camera IMHO.