Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Street Photography in Brazil--how dangerous?

Street Photography in Brazil--how dangerous?

Hi, I'm just about to leave for 2 months in Brazil. Of course, one of the main reasons I am going is to photograph. I'll be staying in two big cities, Salvador mostly and a week in Rio. I've read all the tourist warnings about being robbed, and of attracting notice if you even carry a backpack. I was thinking of taking some combination of a digital camera, a 6x9, and even my 4x5.

Has anyone done this before? Are the warnings exaggerated? Of course, I have the extra wrinkle of being a woman travelling alone (courage or stupidity, I'm not sure which yet) and of being very gringo looking.

I'd appreciate any information which might help me decide which cameras to bring along (no way I'm going without one) and how best to set up in the street.

muita obrigada!

Re: Street Photography in Brazil--how dangerous?

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy_4701 View Post
    Hi, I'm just about to leave for 2 months in Brazil. Of course, one of the main reasons I am going is to photograph. I'll be staying in two big cities, Salvador mostly and a week in Rio. I've read all the tourist warnings about being robbed, and of attracting notice if you even carry a backpack. I was thinking of taking some combination of a digital camera, a 6x9, and even my 4x5.

Has anyone done this before? Are the warnings exaggerated? Of course, I have the extra wrinkle of being a woman travelling alone (courage or stupidity, I'm not sure which yet) and of being very gringo looking.

I'd appreciate any information which might help me decide which cameras to bring along (no way I'm going without one) and how best to set up in the street.

muita obrigada!

I think it would be a disservice if I or anyone on this board told you to ignore the travel warnings. When I travelled in Peru, I always checked with the government. One year I was advised not to go at all, because of some special anniversary of criminal elements in the country. There was a lot of mayhem in the areas I wanted to go, like Machu Pichu and Andes Trail.

Considering the equipment you plan on carrying, you may want to investigate protection from the "Slash and Run" perps, who slash backpacks or straps and grab what they can. In the 70's-80's, we wrapped our backpacks in chickenwire. It was more obvious and preventive on the outside. Never put your bag down and look away. Now there are actually Slashsafe bags available. Google "slash backpacks".

My experience suffers from only being anecdotal and old.

I have lived three years in Rio, and taking pictures there is always a pleasure as much as it can be a risk (loss of your cameras through theft).
    As a general rule, take cheap cameras that you can bear being taken from you (a snap shot 35, a cheap 35 reflex and maybe your 6x9 for scheduled and planned use) - never resist in such cases, you can always buy a new one...your life is worth a lot more than any camera!
    In the worst cases, cameras get ripped out of your hand on the run, so nothing can be done anyway, if they ask you 'kindly' to hand it over, you might have a chance to propose some money instead (keep 50R$ losely in your pocket that you can pull out quickly to 'offer' and keep some more money hidden safely in another pocket, to get you back to wherever you are staying). I'd reconsider taking your 4x5, you might want to come back a second time for this.
    Another possibility is to find some local male company to guide you around safely.
    The main attractions in Rio are safe to photograph, so don't worry for those.

It takes a while to feel comfortable moving around on the streets, but do keep a camera in a pocket (start with the cheap ones). If you feel like photographing, pull it out, shoot and put it back where it came from. This worked fine with me and I never had any problems with theft. (but I do know many cases where it happened, and it was not funny, although never anyone got hurt).

This period of the year is getting close to winter in S. Paolo and Rio, not too many tourists around and therefore less possible aggression on the streets. I don't particularly like Sao Paolo (to much stress), but Rio, being on the coast, is pure joy - you will love it! I have been there 10 days just 2 weeks back.

A beautiful inspiring site of French photographer Patrick Bogner, an 'affecionado' of Brazil can be found here:
    www.patrick-bogner.com/Fr/travaux_perso.html

Enjoy your trip!

Sidney
    Last edited by Carioca; 26-May-2008 at 12:01. Reason: additional info...

One of my young friend has shot series of photo in the subway in Seoul - he admires Bruce Davidson. He has chosen Rolleiflex TLR and it worked. Most of people didn't notice him taking pictures thanks to the waist level finder and silent shutter. Young people don't even think that is a camera at all.

Regarding Bruce Davidson, I read on the book "A user's guide to the view camera" by Jim Stone that he used 4x5 view camera to take the photos of "East 100th street" in the African American and Hispanic ghetto being himself a Caucasian. "Everyday I appeared with my large bellows camera, heavy tripod and box of pictures. Like the TV repairman or organ grinder, I appeared and became part of the street life."

It's not necessarily small not to be noticed.
    Last edited by butterflydream; 27-May-2008 at 09:04. Reason: typo

A female Brazilian co-worker would not even consider taking anything "obvious" on such a trip - especially a 4x5. She's not much of a risk-taker, mind you, so it's up to what you can tolerate losing when considering your options.

muita obrigada!
    From what I have heard through my personal grape vine, it could potentially be "cut your throat dangerous". I'm a guy and I wouldn't travel alone abroad in Brazil unless I had very good contacts or plan on building relations over a long period of time.

Your plan sounds risky especially if you come accross as a lone gringo.

My 2 cents,

Don Bryant

I realize its only anecdotal but Brazil is the only place where I have been actually robbed.
    Some kid ripped the watch of my arm. That was many years ago in Sao Paulo on a
    public square with lots of people around.

I really appreciate the responses and what I gather from them is that the dangers are very real--I am staying with a family in Salvador and am going to reassess what equipment I am planning to take with me. I want to enjoy myself in Brasil (I've been looking forward to this for years) and maybe photography is going to have to be scaled back in order to do this. Maybe the answer is just a point-and-shoot that I can take out and put back quickly--if I don't feel safe, I can't photograph, that much I know about myself. Again, thank you!

I really appreciate the responses and what I gather from them is that the dangers are very real--I am staying with a family in Salvador and am going to reassess what equipment I am planning to take with me. I want to enjoy myself in Brasil (I've been looking forward to this for years) and maybe photography is going to have to be scaled back in order to do this. Maybe the answer is just a point-and-shoot that I can take out and put back quickly--if I don't feel safe, I can't photograph, that much I know about myself. Again, thank you!
    What do the people in the family with whom you will be staying say about potential dangers?

You might consider bringing your equipment and leaving it indoors untill you can asses the situation yourself.