Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kodak's latest contribution - 10 sheet boxes

Question Kodak's latest contribution - 10 sheet boxes

Just curious: Has anyone else stopped using Kodak 8x10 film since they went to 10-sheet-only boxes?

Bye-bye Kodak. Really dumb idea. Why make us pay to ship all that extra packaging?

Hello Ilford. Please keep up the good work. 50-sheet boxes would be even better, but 25 is still a lot better than 10.

-Pat

Re: Kodak's latest contribution - 10 sheet boxes

Pat,
    Don't get me started....
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

3d Visual Effects artist

hm... I just picked up a 50 pack of tri-x 320 8x10 a month ago or so, how recently has Kodak stopped doing this? I did notice though, while I was in Phoenix last week, Photomark only had one 8x10 film type in stock, 10 packs of tmax.

As much as I like having empty boxes to put things/prints into, I'd much rather have larger packs of film because I hate opening kodak's paper envelops that they keep their film in, I never seem to get it opened with out a little bit of a struggle, haha :-(
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

Now that they killed HIE, Kodak is dead to me forever. Bastards. I really like Ilford, and I think that they will be around in film as long or longer than anyone else. I have no concrete evidence to support that, it's just my gut feeling. Ilford has some great products.

There have been plenty of posts on this subject already because it's pissing folks off. I think it's a bad decision but i only use kodak for 120 and 35mm. Would i buy 10 packs? No. As for any films they have/will discontinue, that's the fault of all the yahoos who've bought cameras which don't use film. How many members here own digital cameras but bitch when a photographic product gets axed?

I'll probably still buy TMY. I don't use that much of it since I've always seen it as a special purpose film so 10-sheet boxes aren't that much of an inconvenience but my workhorse film TXP will be replaced as soon as I finish my last 50 sheet box of the stuff.
    Kodak film isn't cheap but I want to spend my money on film, not 5X the amount on the packaging. Even 25 sheet boxes makes more sense. It is an insult to consumers.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

...and I'm saving all my 3 piece Kodak boxes to house my Foma!

This has already turned into a Kodak bashing thread. But I'd just like to point something out before everyone buries Kodak in disdain.

Kodak is still actively developing new emulsions. Harmon/Ilford is not. HP5+ is what -- 20 years old now? TMY-2 isn't yet a year old. Tri-X was updated just five years or so ago.

So you don't like the packaging. Neither do I. But I don't think that turning your back on Kodak is the answer. They are the only company actively supporting you -- they are the only ones that can answer the question "what have you done for me lately" because they can point to TMY-2 and Tri-X.

And you want to abandon them over packaging? Reminds me of a saying my grandmother used to say: "cutting off your nose to spite your face."

Bruce Watson

Many chemical raw materials for film are discontinued (or the price goes up) due to diminishing demand, especially special additives. Then the film maker must find substitutes which changes the characteristics of the film. I also suspect that they put "NEW" to such film as if it's a new development.

Fuji seems to be honest to this point. They discontinued Velvia ISO50 but then they restarted the production upon the requests of consumers. I read their press release that they developed it from new substitute raw materials for discontinued original material and put their best effort to reproduce the original Velvia - they clearly stated that it's not improvement but it's preservation.

I don`t use my LF Cameras as much as my Canon 35mm and Mamiya RZ67, so the ten sheet packs of Kodak films really do appeal to me. I do understand though, the frustration of regular 8x10 users who buy the 50 sheet boxes of Kodak B&W film-sheets or what ever they have recently been supplied as.
    A film that offers a bit more speed than FP4 Plus appeals to me, so either 320TXP or TMY-2 would be nice to try or Ilford`s own HP5 Plus. I currently have FP4 Plus in 8x10.