Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Light Painting Stonehenge

Re: Light Painting Stonehenge

Quote Originally Posted by domenico Foschi View Post
    Another example of how our brain adapts is the popularity of theJerry Springer show...
    Who???
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

shootin' cars and large format

I'm not a fan of light painting either, it does have that "fake" look to me. But then if that's what you're going for it can be great. I love the work of Tokihiro Sato for example:

http://photoarts.com/gallery/SATO/satoexh.html

It's a vey different take on "light painting", but beautifull

I for one have no problem with light painting- although I didn't really care for the "tungsten-in-daylight" color that the NGM photographer chose to use.
    And I also have to say that for capturing the spirit of Stonehenge, give me Caponigro any day.

A Triumph Of Technique Over Art

They could have saved a bundle and gotten a better picture by renting one of Paul Caponigro's B&W images from 30+ years ago.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Re: A Triumph Of Technique Over Art

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    They could have saved a bundle and gotten a better picture by renting one of Paul Caponigro's B&W images from 30+ years ago.
    this one?

Re: A Triumph Of Technique Over Art

Quote Originally Posted by harrykauf View Post
    this one?

I had the good fortune to be at the opening of that exhibit, "Megaliths" when it opened first in Santa Fe. It was extraordinary.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

jetcode

I think the Stones of Avebury are as interesting as StoneHenge. We hired a dowser who took us to a set of stones that had an amazing energy vortex running through them. I held those rods up and they just swirled non stop. I felt this rush of energy coursing through my heart and upper chest for 10 minutes or more. I was letting other people try it and then a stoic british man in a suit cast a look of insult towards me and proclaimed "that's impossible" and the energy just disappeared, the rods stopped spinning. I also thought the dolmens in Ireland were quite impressive too. New Grange is a classic and the ancient fort Dun Aengus in the Aran islands. I always wanted to go back and create a LF portfolio of the stone treasures that exist in the U.K.

funkadelic

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan.in.Belgium View Post
    I'm not a fan of light painting either, it does have that "fake" look to me. But then if that's what you're going for it can be great. I love the work of Tokihiro Sato for example:

http://photoarts.com/gallery/SATO/satoexh.html

It's a very different take on "light painting", but beautifull
    A couple of years late to reply to this thread, but wanted to give a nod to Tokihiro Sato after seeing his work at a local museum:
    http://www.fristcenter.org/site/exhi...l.aspx?cid=861

Gallery Guide:
    http://www.fristcenter.org/site/file...to%20guide.pdf

Chris
    Last edited by cdholden; 3-Sep-2010 at 21:55. Reason: added link for Gallery guide

David J. Heinrich

I just ran across this technique, it seems very interesting. It certainly has a "surreal" feeling to it. However, that isn't necessarily bad. I'd also note that it is real: you are photographing real things, over time.

That said, for the National Geographic, I think it is inappropriate. Were I buying it, I would expect some effort to actually give a sense of how things could appear someplace if you actually looked at them from a certain angle at a certain time of day. I wonder if similar "creative" techniques are used to enhance the appearance of the plight of people in the third world?

In any event, I'd also say that our perception of "reality" is strongly biased by what we actually experience...but that needn't be reality everywhere in the universe. I suspect some interesting photographs could be made by taking wide-angle shots with the sun at two markedly different points in the sky during sunrise or sunset and combining them. This would create the appearance of "two suns". Not reality on Earth, but it certainly is reality on some planets in the universe.

View Camera J/F issue had some work by Berthold Steinhilber that was nice looking.