Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spike feet (ries) covers, caps, or protection

Spike feet (ries) covers, caps, or protection

I've got a recently made Ries, and I like the spike feet. Love the tripod. But, I don't like scratching my car, poking myself (or others). Switching out the legs to the rubber feet each time I transport it is a hassle, especially during multi-stop excursions.

I called Ries and they don't have covers or caps for the spike feet...so I'm looking for some home-brew solution. I'm thinking of rubber balls? Some sort of rubber cap? But how would I fasten them so they don't fall off? I'm sure someone out there has the chops to figure this out.

The photo shows both the spike and rubber feet. To switch them out, one must slide the whole lower leg out, flip it, and slide it back in.

Re: Spike feet (ries) covers, caps, or protection

why don't you grab some 35mm film containers, the plastic type with the pop-off lid.

Fill the containers with foam or polystyrene or something that will compress but keep form. That way you can push them onto the spikes and the pressure in the foam/poly compression will keep them in place, and easily pull them off in use.

Drilling some spike diameter holes in golf balls will give your kit a country clubby look Of course if you shoot on hillsides there is the risk they will roll away if left unattended.

Champage corks will provide an elegant, sophisticated atmosphere. If you have a 'dorff, keep in mind they in themselves are chick magnets so bneautiful women will be hovering about all the time. If they see that you're portecting your Ries spikes with corks from your last three bottles of Moet Chandon be forewarned---yuo'll probaly get unsolicited proposals of marriage.

For overnight camping trips sausages will provide the evening's repast as well flame hardening the ol' Ries (you may even be mistaken for the spirit of Ansel Adams is you're illuminated by pale moonlight while camping in Yosemite)

Sections of rubber tubeing of the appropriate diameter will make you look like Tim the Tool Man. Stranded motorists (or worse, someone with a bum pacemaker) will flag you down, expecting you to be able to MacGyver their Toyotas back to health with only two bent 18d nails and a tube of Gleam toothpaste.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Hahahahahahahahah! Touche!

(My handheld doesn't have an accent mark for the "e")

I use a Surveyor's tripod with large spike feet. I fold the tripod, then cover all the feet at once with a leather pouch, which was once a leather tool pouch.

Just use the darn thing! LOL! My Ries spikes have worn down to wimpy rounded stubs. Actually, I need to get a file and sharpen them back up...I can't fight off the mountain lions and other beasties with what I have now.

The leather pouch idea sounds good, though. I'll have to remember that if I do sharpen them up!

vaughn

Hey, found these screw protectors after a bit of a search...

Quote Originally Posted by David Carson View Post
    I thought maybe it would be a link to condoms

I think the leather pouch still might be the better idea -- I certainly do not need more small things (pencils, lens caps, cable releases, etc) to lose or leave behind!

Vaughn

The spikes on my Ries legs will unscrew...

Has Been LF Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by David Carson View Post
    When I purchased my Zone VI heavy tripod back in the 70s, it came with those in bright orange. They worked pretty good.