Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Define your understanding of "Pictorial Photography"

Re: Define your understanding of "Pictorial Photography"

Gentlemen-Artists,

Thank you for your kind remarks regarding the dissertation.

Publication on LULU doesn't seem practical for a 370 page publication. There are also serious issues regarding copyrights on vintage photographs; they are probably obtainable but would take quite some time (I've dealt with large museums before...) and be rather expensive. I doubt that ANY form of publication would ever recoup the expenses involved (not counting what seems to have been a sea of money spent during the four years of research). It should also have two more chapters added, one of which would be composed largely of images by contemporary artists (yes, some of you, if you will allow) such that we know with certainty which lens captured the image.

There may be a short term solution. I have very few good things to say about the university where I completed the degree (an exception would be my saintly supervisor, Dr. Normand). In a final act of insult, I was forced to allow them to place it on the internet (after which no publisher will likely ever be interested). This copy has the copyright issue images deleted but is otherwise complete. If you would, please try this link and let me know if it works: http://hdl.handle.net/10023/505

If it is accessible, please read and hopefully enjoy it. Those of you who are experienced with soft focus lenses - I would be greatly in your debt for useful criticism of the text or suggestions in general.

Warmly & softly,

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by russyoung View Post
    Gentlemen-Artists,

There may be a short term solution. I have very few good things to say about the university where I completed the degree (an exception would be my saintly supervisor, Dr. Normand). In a final act of insult, I was forced to allow them to place it on the internet (after which no publisher will likely ever be interested). This copy has the copyright issue images deleted but is otherwise complete. If you would, please try this link and let me know if it works: http://hdl.handle.net/10023/505

Russ
    Russ,

The link worked well for me and I have finished down loading the entire 359 pages of the .pdf file.

I look forward to reading it . Thanks for making it available.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Russ,

The link worked well for me and I have finished down loading the entire 359 pages of the .pdf file.

I look forward to reading it . Thanks for making it available.

Sandy
    Me also. You are very generous. I've made it to page 5 so far. It is rich. Thank you. Jim

Russ,
    thank you very much for sharing your enormous work. I will print the pdf and read it from the paper because I donīt like sitting so long in front of the pc.
    Sadly in Germany I donīt know anyone using old lenses.
    All the best from Berlin
    stefan d

Russ, thanks very much for the link to your thesis. Duly downloaded and stashed away for bedtime reading. St. Andrews isn't all bad: for example, it is one of only two places in the world where you can buy Fisher and Donaldson fudge doughnuts. That has to be worth something :-)

Stefan: don't despair, I don't know anywhere else where vintage ULF lenses sell so cheaply :-)

Angry Re: Define your understanding of "Pictorial Photography"

Struan: During that time I have been to holidays and I have missed this

In the desert...

This mornings NY Times Arts section: note page B32....Stephanie Franz "Goldent Tree" (as spelled) entry Alliance for Young Artists and Writers Scholastic Art and Writing Awards...Pictorialist, definately fuzzy wuzzy, equally soft focus through the entire frame , could be circa 1890-1905....Digital Imagery.

Also page B 23, review of new exhibition 13 photographers from Talbot to Evans, definately of interest.

Dr. Young,
    Thank you so much for posting your thesis for all to read, a very generous gesture indeed! I've already started reading and it is quite enjoyable.

This thread has inspired me to take the following photograph.

8x10 X-ray film/ palladium print
    Last edited by Brian Bullen; 6-Nov-2008 at 18:54.

Quote Originally Posted by photobulley View Post
    Dr. Young,
    Thank you so much for posting your thesis for all to read, a very generous gesture indeed! I've already started reading and it is quite enjoyable.

This thread has inspired me to take the following photograph.

8x10 X-ray film/ palladium print
    Again, great stuff with the xray film. Tones look superb on this. I like the simplicity of this shot.

Jim, thank you for the compliment.