Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Darken out a Nook (to use as a Darkroom)?

Beverly Hills, California

How to Darken out a Nook (to use as a Darkroom)?

Hello,

Fate has befallen me and I have lost my rent-controlled apartment in which I turned a large closet into an awesome darkroom for the last 10 years.

Now my new, 30% more expensive, and 50% more microscopic apartment has a tiny rectangular nook in one of the corners that just wide enough to get my Omega 4x5 enlarge in and just long enough for to fit me in there as well - I consider it divine grace this feature is even there. All the other apts in same bldg. have no nook at all.

The opening to the nook is 2feet wide by 8 feet tall (floor to ceiling height).

Question: I need some suggestions on how to make this opening light tight and relatively convienent for repetitive in and out movement of my person.

PS: Installing a door is not really optional as it's just drywall to drywall all the way around. Of course, I will paint the cranny black - out of necessity as the walls will be right on top of the enlarger easel - but beyond that, I could use some advice - with links if needed.

Thanks much. Andre

Re: How to Darken out a Nook (to use as a Darkroom)?

What about Velcro strips on the wall, completely circling the nook, and an opaque plastic curtain with Velcro, permanently attached at the top that could be gathered to one side when not in use, and weighted along the bottom. You would probably have to extinguish other lights in the apartment.

Nicholas O. Lindan

Quote Originally Posted by Andre_941 View Post
    [convert a] tiny rectangular nook in one of the corners just wide enough to get my Omega 4x5 enlarger in [into a darkroom] ... Installing a door is not really optional ... I could use some advice - with links if needed.
    2x8" hole in the wall - In NY this was advertised as the "Master Bedroom Suite", I suppose.

A rotary darkroom door can just stand at the entrance and doesn't have to be attached to anything but if the apartment is cramped already it is probably not a good idea.

I would suggest black curtains. They don't have to be completely light-tight if you can darken the apartment and/or work at night.

In one location I blacked-out the whole apartment and used the kitchen for enlarging and the bathtub as a print washer. It was a very nice darkroom with a couch, good stereo, bathroom. I put a safelight in the refrigerator.

At another apartment I put in a free-standing wall - the framing filled the opening and was wedged in to keep it in place. A screen would work for a small opening - you would need some sort of brush, fabric or foam light seal.

I used two layers of 4mil black visqueen that is used for gardening or painters drop cloths. I took some mount boards cut them int 2x6" strips and stapled these to the visqueen on the ceiling.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

I agree with the drapes and thinking about darkening everything instead of the tiny space.

Black curtains with velcro so they can be washed from time to time. Good luck with the new space, make it yours.

Double up a black curtain, one permanent with a slit in the middle (inner), another attached at the top (outer).

When you want to get in you lift the outer curtain and go through the slit on the inner (this can be an overlap/loose slit or a literal slit) and the other drops in place behind you to trap light - you could even have the velcro at the bottom to hold it in place.

That way to get out you feel for the slit and push. The inner stays in place, you slide through and move the outer to get to the light.

Since it's in the corner, you could have the curtains coming out diagonally to give an extra foot or two of space to get in and out, or to store your seat/cushion

I darkened my room with Molton (used on show events or theatre, it comes also in light save form) or black a plastic foil, used for ponds (the foil comes in different thickness and is also light tight)

You got an 4x5 Omega? Maybe you can help me (see my started Thread one above)

Make the curtains from "blackout cloth' from a fabric store. This material is made to be a liner for drapes and is light proof. Any big fabric store should have it. I blocked off my door by making a frame of 1x1 wood slightly smaller than the opening. I cut a piece of blackout cloth larger than the frame and stapled it on so that there was overhang on all of the edges. I jam the frame into the door, and the extra cloth seals the edges. The whole thing cost less than $10. You could do the same with windows to darken your entire apartment.
    juan

Beverly Hills, California

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_3536 View Post
    I agree with the drapes and thinking about darkening everything instead of the tiny space.
    Hey guys, thanks so much for your advice(s).

After posting, i went home and looked at this apartment situation again. It is soooo small. I think Nick has the right idea, but i may still have to somewhat darken the nook using other's ideas above. Thanks again to all who took time to provide the help.