The same question all the time - I know. But I would like to find out a solution that would fit my needs and budget.

I would like to be able to process files up to 1GB (4x5 scanned with2000 dpi in 16 bit is cca 400 MB and plus some adjustements ... ~ 1GB) in PS CS3, although files of 200 - 500 MB will be more common. I was considering wheter to simply to get a PC and decent 20 or 24 inch wide screen or jsut to get a 24 Inch iMac, - or even - a bit crazy solution - a small laptop (MacBook presumably) and external screen. Sure - the last solution would cost more (the sceen would have to wait a bit) but would allow me to work with PS when I am out of home.

I would prefere probably the iMac (I hate a bit those standard PC with lot of cables around), but I do not know how much it is suitbale for such a work. How does the Aplle screen performs with photo applications?

Is the laptop idea entirely crazy?

Bottomline question - how much memory should do the trick? I know one has never enough but how much would work reasonably? I have now 756MB in older PC and - well - once the file goes above 200 - 300 MB the life slows down a bit too much.