Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: So, IS black & white photography on its way out?

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Re: So, IS black & white photography on its way out?

Something to consider before the question makes anyone defensive ... things that are "on their way out" often come back. They might go out and come back a dozen times under different guises.

The question might be about fashion and the sentiment of the zietgeist more than about extinction.

Quote Originally Posted by spenc View Post

True to Silver!

Silver is some new fangled contraption, produced to allow those who don't understand real photography and coating to take pictures. whoever heard of letting some factory mix your chemistry and have a *machine* coat your paper. Before you know it, anyone is going to be able to just walk into a store and buy a box of paper... sheesh. any real photographer mixes their own and hand coats with platinum.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by Jim collum View Post
    Silver is some new fangled contraption, produced to allow those who don't understand real photography and coating to take pictures. whoever heard of letting some factory mix your chemistry and have a *machine* coat your paper. Before you know it, anyone is going to be able to just walk into a store and buy a box of paper... sheesh. any real photographer mixes their own and hand coats with platinum.

Platinum?!! what, are you some kind of new-fangled turn-of-the-century dandy? Let me guess ... you don't even use wet plates, like real men. You probably use those dry ones that any kid can use. Don't even tell me you use that so-called "film" ... my momma taught me that a film was something you scrub off the bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim collum View Post

Heh.

This sounds a LOT like what Mathew Dodgson (aka Lewis Carroll) said when gelatin dry plates hit the market commercially in England: "Now, they have let the rabble in!" Shortly thereafter, he's said to have put away his camera...
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

Damned uppity photographers - nothing but a bunch of failed painters " the photographic industry was the refuge of every would-be painter, every painter too ill-endowed or too lazy to complete his studies" Baudelaire
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Qualls View Post
    Heh.

This sounds a LOT like what Mathew Dodgson (aka Lewis Carroll) said when gelatin dry plates hit the market commercially in England: "Now, they have let the rabble in!" Shortly thereafter, he's said to have put away his camera...
    "Lewis Carroll was the pseudonym of the Rev. Charles Lutwidge Dodgson"

Some of his images can been seen in the Museum in Guildford, England. I must remember to go and have a look next time I'm up that way.

Well, I was at PhotoPlus '06 today, and several companies gave me optimism. Harman Technology (the company which owns Ilford's "wet" products) is very committed to keeping B&W film and printing paper around, and are even developing chemicals where they believe Kodak may discontinue them (i.e. they are producing a new Selenium Toner, partly because they feel Kodak may discontinue producing it, thereby giving Harman/Ilford a new niche). Bergger is equally committed, and has even explored additional films. They apparantly tried to develop a 400ASA sheet film, but were unhappy with their prototype. Keith Canham said that the large format market is in fact growing. So I'm pretty comfortable that B&W (non-digital) photography will be around for a while yet.

Quote Originally Posted by robc View Post
    "Lewis Carroll was the pseudonym of the Rev. Charles Lutwidge Dodgson"

Some of his images can been seen in the Museum in Guildford, England. I must remember to go and have a look next time I'm up that way.
    Damn, I *always* cock that up...
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Robertson View Post
    Hey Bill- just seen the feature on your work in the latest (UK) Black and white photography. Absagoddamloutely beautiful. What an outstanding understanding of light. And to find such drama in such subtle images and compositions? Stunning. Thanks.
    Wow.. Thank you VERY much Colin! Sorry not to respond to this sooner!

Bill

Yes black & white photography is on the way out. That said, It's going to be a long long long time before it's gone, so get out there and buy buy buy before it time to say good bye bye bye.
    tr