Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tracking your print editions

Hopelessly Lost

tracking your print editions

Hello all, I am starting to finally see some steady sales start to happen with my images in a ;fine art' capacity and was wondering if anyone uses or has heard of any software that helps track your Print editions. I have thought about just creating an Xcel spreadsheet but that will not be a very good long term solution. Best case scenario would be some software that allowed me to include a thumbnail of the image in question so as to be able to reference it easily and also for info as to who bought the print so as to stay connected to my collectors (assuming I have collectors?).

Please, let me know.
    www.hollisbennett.com

Huh? Oh, right, keep moving.

Re: tracking your print editions

Hi Hollis,

I think you can buy a database program like Nutshell that would allow you to set up a simple database. At least I think it may still be available.

I used Microsoft Access to build a simple database that tracks:

Print Unique # (includes edition #)
    State - Print only, matted, framed
    On Display? Y/N
    Where on Display:
    Hang Date:
    Scheduled Take Down Date:
    Sold? Y/N
    Amount Sold For:

I set up some simple reports that let me know what is where, what has sold, prints in stock, etc. My print numbers are set up like 12345-999 where 12345 is the unique stock number and the 999 is the edition #. It makes it easy to search for a specific print when I need to change the status to sold to to put it in a show or after taking it down.

Jim Cole
    www.jimcolephoto.com

Although not cheap, Kevin Saitta (sp) has developed a product called Artsoft. It is a database like you are looking for and a web presence. Kevin advertises on the unblinkingeye.com website.

Hollis,

Although you can set up your own database, which is easy enough to do through excel or a proper database program, I'd also suggest Kevin Saitta's product, Artsoft.

Remember, if you're earning income from the sale of your images, you can also deduct the cost of these packages as a "cost of doing business" from your income tax.

[Caveat: This is what happens in Canada... it may be different for folks in the US. So, check with your CPA. ]

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Hollis...

I love your work, wonderful images with a great feel!

You deserve to be selling more of it...good luck to you!

Paul

Hopelessly Lost

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate them. I am about to have a huge ammount of images produced after my 9 month road trip and would like to get a handle on it as early as possible.

Hollis
    www.hollisbennett.com

Huh? Oh, right, keep moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollis View Post
    Thanks for the comments, I appreciate them. I am about to have a huge ammount of images produced after my 9 month road trip and would like to get a handle on it as early as possible.

Hollis
    I don't know that Kevin's software is that expensive considering all that it does. I use it and I love it.

I've just started my little "business" selling my prints, and I use a very analog system, I worked as store keeper for a long time before to get promoted(accountant),so, I use a store keeper book, where I write all information down about my print, the seller, and little note.
    Maybe one day I'll put them in a digital world(a usually database), but I'm sure that continuing to use my pen and my book.

Stefano
    Analog is Rock!!!! Digital is slow
    My site

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Gasteazoro View Post
    I don't know that Kevin's software is that expensive considering all that it does. I use it and I love it.
    Jorge, you are correct. The cost is pretty minimal in comparison to its capabilities.

Best

Back in the mid ‘80’s I started using a MS Works database to track my print inventory and sales. I have almost 2400 entries in it now and it has served me pretty well. The one drawback is that when one person buy’s multiple prints, I have to enter the same personal data multiple times. I can copy and paste the data but it would be nice if I had a single table for customer data. A relational database would solve that problem but I haven’t been happy with the MS Access versions I have set up.

If you decide to use a digital form of record keeping, I have three words of advice. BACK-UP, BACK-UP and BACK-UP.

If you go with a database, think about how you will use it when creating the fields. I have several fields that are only there to make it easy to sort and /or filter to find different things.

I strongly recommend that you keep a paper trail of sales information. I use a simple receipt book from Office Depot that has two copies, I keep one copy in the book.

The first entry in my database is only two fields. First is a statement “AA Last File Modification Date” and then the “Date” field. Every time I make a change to the database I change the date. I know that the file data tells you when the file was last saved but it doesn’t mean it was changed then. The AA part is there to keep that record at the top of the list.

I number every print. At first, I tried to keep track of print numbers in the darkroom but that was too much of a hassle and I found a better way. When I leave the darkroom after a print session, I take a piece of paper with me that has the name of the print, the date, the size and how many prints were made. This usually occurs around 1:00 AM and I have to go to work the next morning. I put the note next to my computer so I can enter the data the next evening. Latter when I’m mounting and matting prints, I check my database to get the next number. The trick is to keep everything up to date at much as possible.

My way is only one of many. Hope this helps.
    Jerome