Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Combi tank follies

Re: Combi tank follies

I tried my Combiplan for the first time on Thursday (with some caution after reading these posts) and had no problems with the filling and emptying, just a few splashes. I did manage to cock up the loading and somhow ended up with two sheets touching each other on one side. Yes, I did use the red loading thingey. I'll practice the loading with some old film in daylight but the first impression is that it's not a patch on my Patterson Orbital set up.
    Pete.

Ron Miller

Yeah, if only it wouldn't leak as much. And yes, Bob, I have the washers and I am following the instructions. It just leaks. I just wish they would enhance the design to correct the problem. But it will have to do until I get a darkroom.

Ron Miller

Scott,
    I have atrick that works for me to reduce long input time. When filling through the funnel, slightly apply upward pressure with your fingers on the neck of the funnel. Kind of pull up not too hard. I don't know why but it does load in less then the 40 second it takes when I do it without doing this. Hope this makes sense.

Ron Miller

Like most designs, it needs to be enhanced as time goes on instead of just idling.

Quote Originally Posted by gevalia View Post
    Yeah, if only it wouldn't leak as much. And yes, Bob, I have the washers and I am following the instructions. It just leaks. I just wish they would enhance the design to correct the problem. But it will have to do until I get a darkroom.
    Then send it to us and we will send you a new one.

Gave the Combi tank another whirl tonight with much better usage results.

I didn't do a complete inversion this time, only tipped the tank on it's end and back. No leaks! Also opened up the vent at the top when draining and that improved the flow quite a bit.

I have used one of these tanks for better part of a year (Tech Pan and TMAX) with good results. For agitation I invert tank using a tumbling action of going corner to opposite corner. The development is uniform across the 4x5. If I press on the lid as I am tumbling then no leaks. As Gevalia mentioned pulling up on the funnel helps. I think this is bacause one is slighting opening the air gap a bit as you are pulling on the threads rather than resting weight on the threaded part of the stopper valve. This lets more air escape.

I am really impressed by the HP support !

Regards,

Tim

I've used the Combi plan for thousands of negative. It is somewhat "fiddly", but once you get the procedure down it works very consistently. A few points:
    I drain using the bottom hole after partially unscrewing the top seal. It takes about 25 seconds, but doesn't cause any problems in developing except with under 4 minute developing times. Secondly, virtually all leaking can be eliminated by making sure that the top is seated tightly against the container at all four corners and the little cap it placed firmly on the neck. Lastly, NEVER use photo-flo/LPN in the combi-plan, it builds up and effects the flow of water in the tank, causing decreased density at the edges of the film (perhaps by altering surface tension?). Spend some extra time to make sure you are taking every step deliberately and after a little while it becomes routine.