Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: beseler 45mcrx

Andrew L

Re: beseler 45mcrx

Hi all, I'm sorry that this thread is almost 3 years old but the title seemed right. I'm not sure how threads here work but I've got a question about this enlarger. I've searched a bit and haven't been able to find anything but purchasable manuals for this seemingly ancient enlarger (based on my short 26 1/2 years on this planet).

I have a Beseler 45M CRX that I bought from a local around my old university for around $50, but I am now looking for a place that I can use variable contrast filters. There is a small, thin door that's between the two pieces of glass that are between the light source and the negative carrier, but it's oddly curved near the back. Is this where the contrast filter would go? Does it need to be cut to fit the curve of enlarger light source?

I have some contrast filters for smaller enlargers, mostly for 35mm and maybe medium format enlargers too, but I really am not looking forward to purchasing larger contrast filters, especially if I'm going to have to tediously cut them to size.

-Andrew

Yes the filters need to be cut in a curve at the back. And there should be a filter holder frame with clear plastic holder to fit in there.

As an alternative, use the under the lens filter holder.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

You can use filters below the lens, or cut 6x6 filters to fit in the upper filter drawer,
    or, there is a small sliding filter drawer just above the lens.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

Andrew L

Ah, it looks like I'm missing the filter holder though, unless that would come separate from the enlarger. I'll check out using the filter under the lens. Hopefully it won't mess up the image too much?

Quote Originally Posted by icanthackit View Post
    Ah, it looks like I'm missing the filter holder though, unless that would come separate from the enlarger. I'll check out using the filter under the lens. Hopefully it won't mess up the image too much?
    When you use it under the lens dust on the filter can show up on the print so you have to try to keep it perfectly clean, which isn't easy to do. You also have to be very careful not to get scratches on the filter. But otherwise it should work o.k.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I have a beseler 4x5 I just love it I am In Mexico City does anyone knows how to
    conect it the way the wires go, The blower, the transformer, the timer, the Stabilizer, and motor controlbox?
    Thank you for all the information you can give me.

Andrew L

I'm writing back about my problem with the filters. I have Ilford 3.5 square multi contrast filters that I had been using in my school's 35mm/medium format enlargers. I thought I had to put in huge filters up by the light source but I found the little drawer just above the lens. I ended up cutting down a couple of those filters to just around 2.45 inches square or so and they fit perfectly into that drawer and seem to work well. I'd still rather have it above the negative and perhaps I'll get an enlarger that will do this, but this should do until then.

As for the cords for the enlarger, the one I have just has a "Resistrol," up/down motor, and the enlarger head cord. I have just been using small extension cords to put the light source into my own timer and I plug the up/down motor cord into another extension cord. I'm not sure what the blower is, or if the transformer or stabilizer you mention might be the resistrol or whatever it is that reduces the power for longer exposures, but I don't think mine works so I don't use it.

Peter

icanthackit
    I sent you a PM regarding a manual.

Peter