Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Drum processing 8x10 HP5?

Re: Drum processing 8x10 HP5?

Quote Originally Posted by Jiri Vasina View Post
    Some threads have a quick tendency to degenerate into flaming wars and insulting. It's funny to note that some posters are around this degeneration more often than others.

I have no experience with Cibachrome drums, but use Jobo print drums for 5×7/5×8 processing and I do all three steps (actually 4 - with presoak) in the drum on Unicolor roller base. The 5th step - washing - can also be done in the drum (tube), using the Ilford method (that is the label I know it under - agitation and shaking with water inside for a number inversions, then change the water) - but you use much more water and it's a good weight lifting doing it for a total of hundreds of inversions with more than a liter of water. So all the development steps can be done in Jobo print drums - but it's more practical to do the washing in trays...
    The Jobo print drums are not as smooth as the cibachrome drums, at least the ones I had both in 8x10 and 16x20. The Jobo print drums have ridges, or at least my 3063 does, I do not know about the smaller ones, the Cibachrome drums are completely smooth. Since the original post was about cibachrome drums I posted my experience with them, it would have been nice if you had that experience as well.

Yes, my Jobo drums (I have 2800 line) do have the ridges - and I was suspecting the Cibachrome do not - that might play a significant role.
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

@ Google+ | @ Facebook | @ flickr

My books @ Blurb (only heavily outdated "Serene Landscape").

develop, stop and fix in drum. Remove from Drum, and fix again in tray until clear. Wash in tray... That works for me with HP5.... I have been doing it that way for years... and the negs are fantastic.

Len Metcalf

Leonard Murray Metcalf BA Dip Ed MEd

Len's gallery lenmetcalf.com

Lens School

Lens Journal

Get an 8x10 inch piece of fiberglass screen material. Place it between the drum and film. All the solutions can get to the back of the film. You need to wash the negative in a tray.