Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shen Hao vs. Tachihara

Re: Shen Hao vs. Tachihara

Kevin,

I agree 100%, what is being described is very little to fix, and is something that will always need to be fixed on wood field cameras.

Dave

Forgot to add,

I would be happy to buy your Zone Draggin..

Dave

I have a Shen Hao and the biggest problem is not weight or movements but the short bellows draw. Sure the back moves back and the front moves forward but it's not stable when you want to put the longer lens on it in that configuration. I wish it was a triple extension camera, then it would be a killer. It's a wide angle to 210mm, or 90mm camera. When you get it the joints are smooth, after a short time the joints can be felt because the wood moves. I have had cameras were this wasn't the case.

Yes a loose screw and some knob adjustments are not a reason to dump the camera, what's the real reason, are you just tired with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Turner Reich View Post
    Yes a loose screw and some knob adjustments are not a reason to dump the camera, what's the real reason, are you just tired with it?
    Tired I can understand, hell I get tired with cameras all the time!

The bellows on the Shen-Hao and the Tachihara both extend about the same amount, unless you move the front standard of the Shen-Hao forward. Then you can get out to 360mm. It's rock solid extended like that, though you wouldn't believe it to look at it.

I went with the Shen-Hao for the three main differences between the two cameras: More movements, interchangeable bellows, and a Graflock back. Those were the things that were important to me. If those things don't matter, or if weight's a concern, then the Tachihara's a great choice. It's really up to what's important to you.

Best of luck.

Another recommendation for the Chamonix 45N-1. The Chamonix has a Graflock back and is at least as light as the Tachihara, but the bellows extend to about 400mm. The bellows are interchangeable and Chamonix will be offering both a universal bellows and a bag bellows this year. The movements are very ample, only lacking rear shift and rise/fall. The craftsmanship is superb and the only downside is you'll have to wait until July for the next batch.

I've never touched a Shen Hao. I own a Tachihara, in the guise of a Calumet Wood Field XM. Marvelous camera, 'nuff said.

A few pounds can make a huge difference if you intend to fly to Australia or New Zealand for example. They are strict there and they WILL weigh your bags. If over the limit, you are basically pooched. This is not from personal experience,yet, but what the missus told me when she travelled with her telescope.

The two or three pounds means I can carry on another lens or extra couple of boxes of film. I dread the day I begin flying with my 8x10.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Lum View Post

The two or three pounds means I can carry on another lens or extra couple of boxes of film. I dread the day I begin flying with my 8x10.
    At the moment flying out of Canada isn't too bad. You get one carry on and a camera bag. So between the two my 8x10 was fine carried on. I checked holders and tripod but the rest came with me.

To the intial question. Why not two cameras? Studio monorail which tend to be cheap today. Field camera for outdoors. If you get two cameras that can share lensboards then it'll work even better. Or at least an adapter board.