Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need an inexpensive (relatively speaking) water chiller

Re: Need an inexpensive (relatively speaking) water chiller

For film I use the method suggested by Jobo: put ice packs (not bare ice) into the water bath and set the thermostat. I wash film by fill-and-dump, so controlling the temperature of running water is never a requirement.

Best,
    Helen

I assumed (yes, we all know what that means) that It wasn't a good idea to was prints in warmer water, but if no one else has had a problem with doing this then you have all saved me a lot of money and space under my sink. THANKS!!!! For mixing chemicals, I don't mind using refrigerated water when the piped water is to warm, it's easy and doesn't take that much more time. Thanks again everyone for answering!

Tori

I got a well for darkroom cold water,Stays about 60 year round. also flushes toilet and water for hot tub.

Tori,
    I'm in Oceanside, and have the same problem that you do. I use ice in gallon zip lock bags to cool solutions in the trays, most critical for developer of course. The other trays I get close to the working developer temperature.

For film washing, a few years ago I built a chiller with a copper coil in a bucket of water. It worked great at keeping the wash water at about 72, however, after about 15 minutes I had used up all the ice in the house, so that solution wasn't really workable in the long term.

After that experiment, I just use wash water at whatever temperature it comes through, with the consideration that warmer water washes the chemicals out more quickly (I'd like to have a temperature/time chart for that!). I do shorten my wash times a little when the water is warm.

John Clark
    www.johndclark.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tori Nelson View Post
    I assumed (yes, we all know what that means) that It wasn't a good idea to was prints in warmer water, but if no one else has had a problem with doing this then you have all saved me a lot of money and space under my sink. THANKS!!!! For mixing chemicals, I don't mind using refrigerated water when the piped water is to warm, it's easy and doesn't take that much more time. Thanks again everyone for answering!

Tori