Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Entry level 5x4 neg scanner

Entry level 5x4 neg scanner

I'm looking to buy my first scanner suitable for 5x4 negs and chromes to provide enough quality for web site viewing.

Am I right in thinking the Epson V700 is my best bet at £350, or is there any thing cheaper?

Re: Entry level 5x4 neg scanner

If you never anticipate scanning for any more critical application than web viewing, any of the older Epson (and probably other brands) flatbeds with 4x5 transparancy adaptors are much more than you need. My Epson 2450 Photo model has given flawless service for several years, and does well enough for 16x20 prints. When shopping for used scanners, make sure the software and appropriate film holders are included.

Jim has given you some strait advice, I use a hpscanjet4890. I started with a similar hp scanner with a 1200optical dpi but it didn't have the TMAs (transparency material adapter) with it. As luck goes while trying to clean the backside of the glass, I broke the tube so it was replaced with the current model, which does allow for access for cleanning the glass. I went to a scanner as I was shooting negatives & got tired of forking out cash to see how the negatives turned out. As previous experiences had prompted making my own tma's I just started shooting 5x7 & made a tma for that format. Best of luck!

If solely for internet use then any of the V700s predecessors would do fine.

Check out Microtek Scanmaker i800, it has the same Dmax of 4.0 like the V700 but it's much cheaper, being not from Epson, I guess.

I've used one for a while now, for 4x5, I think it's excellent. The holder is useful also.

What's your opinion of the Microtek's quality? I've heard horror stories about them being crappily built and not good quality at all. And apparently Microtek's customer support is the pits.

i am having this dilemma as well. i need a basic 4x5 scanner than i can output to A4 size prints as my working prints.

for exhibition prints, it's drum scanning.

being from malaysia, my choices are limited to epson v700 only. but, paying usd570+ for a scanner that i am using it for work prints only is not what i have in mind.

I have an HP Scanjet 3300C which I bought new a couple of years ago for about US$100.
    The results from 4x5 scans are great for posting on the web or making 8x10 work prints. There is most likely a newer version in about the same price range though I have not checked this out. Good luck with your search.

Quote Originally Posted by sdwfx View Post
    Check out Microtek Scanmaker i800, it has the same Dmax of 4.0 like the V700 but it's much cheaper, being not from Epson, I guess.

I've used one for a while now, for 4x5, I think it's excellent. The holder is useful also.
    Of course neither one of them actually has a dmax anywhere near 4.0.........
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by captainslack View Post
    What's your opinion of the Microtek's quality? I've heard horror stories about them being crappily built and not good quality at all. And apparently Microtek's customer support is the pits.
    So far I like the results (don't have an original resolution file handy, sorry), I have yet the need to scan 4x5 at high resolution. The holder (LF and MF) is strong, and hold the films pretty well. Not so good for 35mm, but then again, I wasn't expecting it to be.

Built quality of the scanner is very good, certainly is not inferior to Epsons.