Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Arches NP

Re: Arches NP

There is a classic car show and Easter Jeep Safari in the spring. You want to avoid both, though the latter is far worse.

I've been in Moab many times in both Spring and Fall. In Spring, typically April is windy, but March and May are not bad. Early May is nice for the flowers. I've been in the late summer and it can still be very hot. Fall is nice and the cottonwoods, aspens and oaks in the area can be beautiful. Fall colors are around the October-November timeframe.

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Talking Re: Arches NP

July through the end of September can be hot. You can get either heat or snow in March. Easter Jeep Safari is great is you are an off roader.

Green Grocery Getter ==> Not!
    Soccer Mom's Car ==> Not!
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

German tourists under Delicate when I was there. I hauled 8x10 up the ice-covered trail, got there and managed to squeeze in a spot among about 100 people. My tripod was on a steep incline and I had to be careful not to kick it off into the bowl.
    2 idiots speaking German were prancing around under the arch, posing and taking their time while the light was fading. I decided I had driven too far (1,500 miles) to let these idiots ruin the shot. So at the top of my lungs I yelled: "YOU'RE IN MY PICTURE!!!!" The crowd went silent, and the 2 posers ran out of the arch as though a missile was about to strike.
    2 1-second shots, and I was packing up for the trek back down the trail.

The last time I was at Arches, I avoided Delicate Arch, but did go up to the viewpoint across the way from it and saw it from a distance. It was mid-July (2006) -- well over 100F. We had promised my boys a day at the waterpark in Moab, but record torrential rains the day before we got there flooded the waterpark and silted it up so bad it was closed for days.

The nat. park campgrounds were full, so we found a place to camp in a BLM campground along the Colorado River. So instead of the waterpark, we enjoyed the Colorado River.

Sorry, not LF...The Mudmen of Moab...

In 2003 I was down at the arch across the way on the escarpment to the south. I had setup a shot but had about a dozen people running about to and fro on the arch. They were about 300 yards away and was standing there wondering how I was going to get the shot without the people in it. Right then, my Bask girl friend yelled at the top of her healthy lungs... "Get down please!!!" and about as long as it took the sound to get over there, everyone just disappeared! I took my 2 shots and she yelled "Thank you!" and everyone just popped up again.

Weirdest thing I have seen in a long time.

Thanks to all the folks who participated. lol

Highway 128 east from the park & Moab is a wonderful route. Couple of nice spots to stop next to the river as well as filming locations from old movies.

Naturally I asked the question just before I had to travel, so I seemed to abandon the thread I resurrected.

Thanks for all of the great insights. I appreciate knowing that many of you find plenty of inspiration there, apart from the obvious vistas. I'll have to do a little more digging - I was hoping for more self-promotion, i.e., pics from you all. Not to replicate, just to familiarize myself a bit.

I've done two previous trips to Utah around that time of year, but have generally been closer to Zion. Interestingly Zion never really resonated with me at the time, but I'm anxious to get back now as my tastes and interests have changed. Anyway, I've never been up around Arches so I'm not sure what to expect from the landscape, so it has felt like going at it blind somewhat. These trips are infrequent and costly, so I like to go as well prepared as I can. Closer to home I'm more content to just scout for a day and not photograph much.

Anyhow - thanks again for all the great responses. I'll start pouring over the details a little more now.

(Thanks also for mentioning the car show in Moab, I knew about the Jeep thing, but that was it).

Capital Reef? Dead Horse Point? Get way back out of the way in Canyonlands? I drove to the end of one of the roads in Canyonlands. Nobody there. Good scenery.
    You'll find your own private spot. Enjoy.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Myself and a couple of other guys head out to the southwest every year during my springbreak (last week of March). I love that time of year, although it can get a bit cold for some people. We've been to many areas, but we always seem to end up back at Arches and spend a bit of time in Moab. Good beer at the brewpub. I would recommend making reservations ahead of time if you plan on camping at the park campground. I've got mine for this year. This makes it much easier to get up in the morning to photograph. Even though arches like Landscape Arch have been photographed thousands of times, it's still cool to be out their during the early morning hours. How much longer will it last is a good question. Utah has so many cool places to visit.

Very nice clean motel rooms are cheap in Moab midwinter, like $40-50 night at the Best Western. "Zaks" right on the main drag also the best pizza and breakfasts for many a mile, at least to my palette (but I'd invite debate on this to find other spots for when next I return).