Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Arches NP

Arches NP

Have any of you been to Arches NP and if so when is the best time of the year t ogo? I was thinking of a October,November trip. Any advise.

Re: Arches NP

Quote Originally Posted by ignatiusjk View Post
    Have any of you been to Arches NP and if so when is the best time of the year to go? I was thinking of a October, November trip. Any advice?
    That's when I have gone, and would do so again. It's cooler then, and motel rates are going to off-season around that time too. And there is less wind than spring. But the high desert is beautiful at all times of the year; there's really not a bad time to go.

Bruce Watson

I went in late October and I thought the weather was perfect. I've also been around there in the spring and it was equally nice. Arches is just spectacular and it's very hard to do it justice in photographs--but it's fun trying.

I went last september to Arches, Red Canyon, Zion and through Monument Valley. I think it was perfect- cool weather for hiking and good atmospheric conditions. We had deep blue sky with nice scattered puffy white clouds the whole time. Except on the last day when I had hiked up to Delicate Arch to get a sunset photo. The one I was waiting for the whole trip...... Overcast all day My brother was in Arches a few years ago in late spring/ summer- lots of rain and HOT!!!! He was with me on this trip of mine and said it was much easier on the body.

Tim

I was there in 2006 in late May or early June. It was already getting hot during the daytime. However, it cooled off nicely once the sun went down. I would go out early to shoot then do a little hiking and spend the hottest part of the afternoon scouting locations for the next days shoot, so the heat was not too much of a factor. Once the sun started to go down I would do a little more shooting at sunset and twilight and then head into Moab for a few beers and dinner. The Jailhouse Cafe in Moab is a good place for breakfast, if you don't get out too early.

Richard

If you decide to try a sunset photograph at Delicate Arch make sure you get there early. When I did it the area was jammed with other photographers and it was difficult to find a good place to set up. Plus there was a Japanese nut who walked out to the arch and stayed there, dancing around like the fool he was, until the photographers finally threatened en masse to throw him off the ledge if he didn't get out of there.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    If you decide to try a sunset photograph at Delicate Arch make sure you get there early. When I did it the area was jammed with other photographers and it was difficult to find a good place to set up. Plus there was a Japanese nut who walked out to the arch and stayed there, dancing around like the fool he was, until the photographers finally threatened en masse to throw him off the ledge if he didn't get out of there.
    Wow, I had almost the exact same experience, complete with the nut job dancing under the arch at sunset almost enciting a riot amongst the photogs! A bit earlier than that, I watched in shock as a man helped his five year old try to climb up the arch for a picture. In the relativel small slickrock area around the arch, there must have been about 200 people at sunset. Fortunately, though, almost all of them cleared out right after the sun set, leaving plenty of room for me to photograph in the afterflow, when the rock gets a nice deep orange color.
    Brian Vuillemenot

The two best time of the year to go to the Arches area are October and April. The days are in the low 70s and the nights get to 40 or so. You'll love Arches but don't forget Canyonlands. Island In The Sky is very close and very nice. If you have a 4X4 you can take the White Rim road which takes you a long the lower canyon. If your in and out in a day you don't need a backcountry pass.
    A note of warning. Due to the actions of a "photographer" who shall remain nameless, who started a fire under Delicate Arch, the rangers are on the look out for dudes with, as they call them, big cameras. Don't be suprised if you see them checking you out on occasion.

Have fun and enjoy.

I go out to Moab a couple times a year. It's one of the most amazing places on the planet. If you do have a 4x4 with decent clearance and a little experience offroading you can get to some outstanding areas.
    I'll be there in a few weeks with my 4x5 and 12x20 for an annual Nissan offroad event www.gonemoab.com.

Take Care,

Doug

lazy retired bum

Alan, why should Fatali remain nameless after the colossally stupid thing he did?

Eric