Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gregory Crewdson on CBS Sunday Morning

Re: Gregory Crewdson on CBS Sunday Morning

Quote Originally Posted by Martin D. View Post
    I understand that now he is well established and has enough money to produce such photos. But where did he find money for the first one?
    Juvenile rock star, I think.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Most of his pieces are available 14x18 in. and the work is quite affordable in this size. Because the images are composits of so many 8x10 captures--producing tack sharpness in every plane--some of stunning effect is missing at this size, but they are quite appealing still.

Well I got the chance to watch the clip this morning. It was an interesting interview and display of his work.

f295

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Brummitt View Post
    His work reminds me of painter Edward Hopper. Specially "Night Hawks"
    crewdson is a fan of Hopper's work. Look here: http://www.tate.org.uk/tateetc/issue1/article10.htm
    Last edited by tpersin; 29-Apr-2008 at 12:16. Reason: typo
    Tom Persinger
    www.f295.org

The F295 Historic Process Workbook is now available on Amazon:
    The F295 Historic Process Workbook: 4 Processes, 6 Techniques, 14 Lessons

Thank you for sharing that link regarding Crewdson and Edward Hopper. Lets you see into Crewdson's ideas and influences.
    Thank you again.

Interesting stuff! And how cool---he can probably afford 8x10 color Kodak film!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

That is very impressive, I read that in an hour or two shoot they try to get 50-60 exposures. Not too cheap shooting 8x10... It seems he is taking different exposures to make HDR images, only using the 8x10 to capture them instead of a digital camera. The "best combination" of exposures, expressions, lighting, etc are then all drum scanned and photoshopped into a HUGE file for digital printing.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin D. View Post

I understand that now he is well established and has enough money to produce such photos. But where did he find money for the first one?
    He teaches at Yale with Tod Pappageorge, so I am guessing they are helping flip his bills these days. I saw a recent show of his recently, and his works seem bigger now than from a couple of years ago. His early early stuff is quiet different as I recall, but i don't remember what it was exactly-- just a "Wait, THAT is Crewdson?" moment

I've seen a fair bit of his work--including some "production stills" of the setup et al--but his work really does have to be seen in person to get the full gravitas; they are just massive and frighteningly sharp. I really enjoying looking at them, but I'm not really a fan, if that makes any sense (I would never buy one... not that I could afford one. but if i could, and i had the space, i don't think I would want to hang it on my wall and see it daily). It depends a lot on how they are presented. Most of the joy for me comes from creating your own narrative, and the usually dull stories that are presented along side the images in the books are daft.
    In short: eye candy!