Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Price Check on

Re: Price Check on

I was quoted a price of $2,200 on a new Chamonix 5x7.....

Quote Originally Posted by BigSteveG View Post
    I was quoted a price of $2,200 on a new Chamonix 5x7.....
    Hi Steve,

It sure is a fine looking camera though.

It looks to be a well-built camera too.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

I found the Tach 4x5 to be unsuitable for student use -- it just does not take the abuse. As a personal camera, it is fine. The toggle-type knobs broke and wood cracked on the back. Our Horseman Woodfields have lasted much much longer.

I owned a Raja 4x5 -- a direct copy of the 'Dorff Special...but still a sturdy beast. I eventually put a 'Dorff 5x7 back on the Raja (Raja copied the camera so well it fit right on) and enjoyed using it. It did not seem to weigh all that much -- but I had a yonger back and stronger legs then...and now I am use to carrying a Zone VI 8x10, so any 5x7 seems light!

vaughn

Unless you handled a Tachihara that was in very bad shape from someone's abuse, you won't find either the Deardorff or the Wisner to be significantly less "flimsy" than you found the Tachihara to be. I've owned two Tachiharas, two Deardorffs, and spent a lot of time with the Wisner Expedition at MidWest Photo Exchange so I have some experience with all three cameras. The Tachiharas I've owned (both purchased new) have been very well made, very solid, cameras.

As between the two cameras you mention, I'd probably go for the Wisner Expedition, just because it's lighter and has some geared movements which I like. If weight isn't important to you then either one would probably do equally well, both are excellent cameras. I didn't find the Expedition to be particularly difficult to set up or take down. I wonder if the camera Tom's friend owns isn't the Pocket Expedition rather than the Expedition. The Pocket Expedition has a reputation for being finicky.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I have a traditional 4x5 Wiz and an 8x10 Dorff. I bought the Wiz new 15 or so years ago. Based mainly on the triple extension. I don't drag it behind the truck, but I don't treat it like a shelf queen either. I bought the Dorff three years ago. I has given me no inclination whatsoever to sell the Wiz and get a dorff. I have a bag bellows for the wiz, and a graflok back, not an option with the Dorff. 4x5 and wide lenses will be a problem with a 5x7 Dorff. I don't even see the reason for the extra money for the expedition over the traditional. Like guns, lighter is not always better. Weight saved with camera will be offset by extra weight carrying an umbrella to block the wind.

Getting back to the original question, it looks as if, on the basis of format that you are comparing apples and oranges. I have owned three 8X10 Deardorffs (one later vintage) and I presently use a Traditional 5X7 Wisner. From that experience, I would say that I would go for the Wisner if you are only planning on 4X5. The reason is that my Wisner is a lot more solid than any of the Deardorffs I owned.

The Wisner has shifts and the Deardorff does not...you have to use opposing swings to even effect a limited shift with the Deardorff.

The Wisner had bag bellows, if you can find them...it is a lot better for using shorter lenses.

The other side of the coin is that 5X7 has almost twice the negative size that the 4X5 has...if you can find 5X7 holders.

Brian is right; it is the Wisner Pocket Expedition that is sometimes difficult to set up and take down.