Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Price Check on

Price Check on

(1) Late model Deardorf 5x7 w/ extra (4x5 back) in Mint condition
    (2) Wisner Expedition 4x5 in 8-9 condition.

Would buy either? Why or why not?

Re: Price Check on

I'd opt for the 'dorff, but I'm a 'dorffy kind of a guy

The option of being able to shoot 5x7 is very attractive to me and I'd wager for anyone who'd buy such a camera from me if I should sell it somewhere down the road.
    OTOH the Wizz would probably be more attractive to a dedicated backpacker.

I'd still opt for the 'dorff though---of course I'm already used to sugar-anting an 8x10 around
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

"I'd opt for the 'dorff, but I'm a 'dorffy kind of a guy "

So why do you prefer the 'dorff? build? functionality?

I purchased an old Deardorff 5x7, with the 4x5 back last fall, and though I do not have a 4x5 Expedition, I have traveled extensively with another photographer who uses one. The Wisner has more movements and is lighter. It is difficult to set up and take down, very finicky. The Deardorff does not have shift, if you need it. You can use 4x5 wide angle lenses on the Wisner and they are trouble on the Deardorff; I have a 120 and it's tight. You can't make 5x7 contacts with the Wisner. The Wisner camera may have some quirks or failings; I would make sure I could handle it extensively before I bought it. If it's put together right and everything works, it is a thing of beauty. A mint late model Deardorff 5x7 is more of a tool than a piece of furniture, you can use it hard and it will likely survive you.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSteveG View Post
    (1) Late model Deardorf 5x7 w/ extra (4x5 back) in Mint condition
    (2) Wisner Expedition 4x5 in 8-9 condition.

Would buy either? Why or why not?
    How much do you want to spend? How about a new Tachihara???...EC

"I'd opt for the 'dorff, but I'm a 'dorffy kind of a guy "

So why do you prefer the 'dorff? build? functionality?
    I've never had a Wiz, but I found my 'dorff very intuitive to use. I have had other cameras and while I can't fault them the 'dorff just suits me better so thats an idividual preference and probably useless to you---however the ability to make 5x7 contact prints using alternative processes if you want is a definate advantage to the 'dorff over the Wiz. If wieght is an overriding concern the Wiz would have to get the nod IMHO but 'dorffs aren't heavy, really, it is just that the Wiz is lighter (and a Nagaoka is even lighter!)
    I can't comment on the Wiz' build quality but 'dorffs are exceptionally robust---as old as some of these cameras are and the adventures they've survived, they have to be!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

check midwest photo . i think they had a deal on a wisner expedition . around $1200.00

i own a 4x5 wisner technical that i am very pleased with . i have no experience with a deardorf .

Quote Originally Posted by evan clarke View Post
    How much do you want to spend? How about a new Tachihara???...EC
    You know....good question. I played w/ a Tachihara yesterday at the monthly camera show. Not to be rude or step on anyone's toes, but I found it quite flimsy. Also, the focusing knob was very sticky. Another issue is there seems to many of those for sale 2nd hand. That says something I think. The Wista cherry field I looked at was also a little like a bunch of sticks glued together. I am a little hard on things. Truth is I've already dropped the Cambo once...ooops, guess I'll never sell it here now!! All I had to do was pull one of the poles back out and she seems to be square again. I'm starting to consider the 'dorff 'cause I know the dealer pretty well and he may be willing to take in a MF camera in credit so I wouldn't have to plop down a mint for the new toy. Apparently, he has 10 or so Deardorffs at any given time from what he tells me.

Quote Originally Posted by thetooth View Post
    check midwest photo . i think they had a deal on a wisner expedition . around $1200.00

i own a 4x5 wisner technical that i am very pleased with . i have no experience with a deardorf .
    Thanks.

Not to be rude or step on anyone's toes, but I found it quite flimsy. Also, the focusing knob was very sticky.
    Hi Steve,

In comparing the Dorff to the Tachihara... the Dorff is much, much sturdier. All you have to do is to look at the difference in materials used for the rails, knobs, and gearing. Of course, this results in an increase in weight.

I'd have to agree with John K. in that the Dorff is quite an intuitive camera to use. And, it's certainly built to last a lifetime. But, as with most cameras, they don't seem to like being dropped.

I sold my 4x5/5x7 Dorff a short time ago in favor of an Arca Swiss. I found it difficult (personally) to use the 110XL on it because the bellows was made with a heavier material (but then, I didn't use a recessed board on it either.) YMMV.

Cheers

I don't know what your budget is but don't forget to take a look at the Chamonix... looks pretty functional and well-built as well.
    Life in the fast lane!