Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Technician Needed?

David Gainer

Re: Technician Needed?

It is a recent manufacture (14xx...) so I am sure there is a shutter available. I contacted SK Grimes, so hopefully I can get this worked out for the price of a new shutter!

David Gainer

Quote Originally Posted by DJGainer View Post
    It is a recent manufacture (14xx...) so I am sure there is a shutter available. I contacted SK Grimes, so hopefully I can get this worked out for the price of a new shutter!
    Just checked the Schneider website; it looks like the lens is older than I thought, having been manufactured in the 80s.

David Vickery

If you want to take care of this yourself, then all you have to do is divide the focal length of the lens by the measured diameter of the aperture. That will equal the f-stop at that position on the aperture control lever. Using millimeters is best. Do this for many aperture openings on the shutter and then do film tests to verify that you have marked the shutter properly and more importantly, that you know what you will get on film at each mark that you put on the shutter--that's all that matters anyway.
    Sudek ambled across my mind one day and took his picture. Only he knows where it is.
    David Vickery

David Gainer

Quote Originally Posted by David Vickery View Post
    If you want to take care of this yourself, then all you have to do is divide the focal length of the lens by the measured diameter of the aperture. That will equal the f-stop at that position on the aperture control lever. Using millimeters is best. Do this for many aperture openings on the shutter and then do film tests to verify that you have marked the shutter properly and more importantly, that you know what you will get on film at each mark that you put on the shutter--that's all that matters anyway.
    As if I needed more encouragement...

I suppose my next question would be, what do I use to mark the scale? I have no equipment to engrave the plate.

tim810

I did this exact thing with my 355 Schneider Convertible out of a DB mount. I had an extra shutter from a 240 Caltar that I used. I just measured the diameter at specific apertures on the db mount with calipers and compared the diameters to the copal shutter and made a mark on a piece of white tape to correspond to the said aperture. I than tested the marks at 3 different apertures to verify exposure. It worked and is still very reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by DJGainer View Post
    As if I needed more encouragement...

I suppose my next question would be, what do I use to mark the scale? I have no equipment to engrave the plate.

I posted a response to your ad over at APUG but just thought I would share those same thoughts here. Unless you got a killer deal on the lens (and maybe if you did) I think it is quite possible that it would be cheaper to sell (or return if that is an option) the DB mount lens and get one in a normal shutter. 90mm SA's go for small money on ebay these days. For a 00 single coated lens they can be had for $175-$250 a 0 multicoated lens can be had for $300-400. A new Copal 0 shutter will set you back $200 from B&H with no scale (probably $50 from SK Grimes).

Oh and one other note the 0.0 shutter that was mentioned before is a copal 0 from what I understand. There is a 00 but that is different form 0.0.