Thread: Williamsburg, VA

Williamsburg, VA

Spousal unit and I returned yesterday from a week in the Williamsburg, VA area. I took the 4x5 kit and had a great time with it.

Very pleased to report that the large camera was not a problem. I was able to set up, compose, and shoot just about anywhere I wanted. I made a conscious decision to not try to photograph in the Governor's Palace or the Capital because those places have rigidly controlled tours, and photography would have presented a problem. Also, space was limited, and I didn't want to create an obstacle for the hoards of tourists (and especially, school groups) who were coming through.

But I was able to photograph inside Bruton Parish Church. In fact, one of the volunteer tour guides arranged for me to have access to one of the galleries where I was able to get a better view of the altar area than was possible from the floor.

And of course, there was no problem photographing anywhere outdoors. And using the large camera also stimulated a number of discussions with other tourists.

As usual, making photographs in public places presents the challenge that other tourists tend to stray into the scene being photographed. The only solution to that problem is patience to wait for them to move on.

Also that 27 pound backpack may not be too heavy when I first put it on in the morning, but after four hours in nearly 90 degree heat, its quite a load! And the bulk is a problem when negotiating space on shuttle buses or following my wife through shops. (The 'equal-time' rule always applies!)

But all in all, it was great fun!

Re: Williamsburg, VA

It sounds like a great time! Thanks for sharing
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

"Very pleased to report that the large camera was not a problem. I was able to set up, compose, and shoot just about anywhere I wanted."

You mean you weren't arrested or at least hassled? There were no signs telling photographers to pick up their tripods and go home? Your name didn't go into a data base of potential security risks that we read about so often here? Your camera and film weren't confiscated? Virginia doesn't have a law like Maine's forbidding you to view historical buildings if children are in the vicinity? How odd.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Been there twice. Great place. "Spousal unit" Ok.

I've got to wonder if any of the other tourists thought you were a "colonial period photographer"
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White