Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: typical price for 5x7 deardorff

typical price for 5x7 deardorff

I'm trying to get a sense for the value of a 5x7 Deardorff, very good condition, with front swings. I'm not looking for an exact price, really just a ballpark range. Any help would be most appreciated.

Re: typical price for 5x7 deardorff

$1275.00 plus or minus a grand. Could run you as much as two grand if you want a functional and good looking one.

I bought mine about 3 years ago. It was a vintage 1956 with both backs and in exc++ shape, not used to death. I had been looking for one and this one showed up on ebay with a BIN for $1400. Probably too much but I just said what the hell, I'll amortize it at $50 for the next 28 years It is a pleasure each and every time I use it.

On the subject of deardorffs, is it true that no Deardorffs have shift. This info from an ebay seller.
    Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure... Life is either daring adventure or nothing: Helen Keller.

They just don't seem to pop up that often, and prices reflect that it seems. I was lucky to find a good deal, and if you are patient you might find a deal. I bought mine about three years ago, but the bellows were shot. I paid about $400 for the camera and then had new bellows made for about $200. I consider the less than $600 I have in mine to be a real bargain, I would expect to pay twice that today.

$1000 to $1250, the $1000 would be low if it has two backs.

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    On the subject of deardorffs, is it true that no Deardorffs have shift. This info from an ebay seller.
    Deardorff field cameras don't have shift. I suppose you could rotate both front and rear standard to get a little but......nope.

I have had one for over twenty years and paid about $1000.00 back then. If anyone is interested in a 4x5 reducing back for the 5x7 or 4x5 Special Deardorff models give me a PM. Restored condition.

Cheers!

Deardorff field cameras don't have shift. I suppose you could rotate both front and rear standard to get a little but......nope.

According to the original Deardorff manual, this is the way prescribed for shifts. The book, by the way, is one of the more interesting books on using any field camera.

I found one on Ebay with a Buy-it-Now of $550, almost perfect condition with 2 backs, I was the 3rd or 4th person so look at it...I couldn't type the number into the buy-it slot fast enough. I'm guessing that is my one piece of good ebay luck for the next 10 years which I'm fine with, its a beautiful camera.