Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sodium Chloride substitute

Sodium Chloride substitute

Has anybody ever tried using either sea salt or rock salt in formulas that call for Sodium Chloride? I'm trying to avoid the postage for Sodium Chloride, the local supermarket sells the sea and the rock salts.
    Thanks,
    Pete.

Re: Sodium Chloride substitute

Why not just use table salt from the local supermarket? Other salts have various amounts of other salts mixed in, but table salt (non-iodinized) is sodium chloride.

John Clark
    www.johndclark.com

Sea salt would likely have other minerals.

I would hope that non-iodized food grade salt would be more highly processed/extracted & maybe it's cheaper to make it in a factory than to extract it.

It would be worth an inquiry (e-?) to suppliers of either the table or rock variety (water softener, ice melt?) regarding content.

Beware of rock salt blends. That would be hard to miss...clearly labeled, and overpriced.

I believe most of the kosher brands of salt are pure NaCl.

Salt is a weird product. It seems to me that the more contaminated it is, the higher the price. This may be different in Staffordshire than Oceanside, though. Pete, if we Californians buy either "sea salt" or "rock salt" it is considered a gourmet product and priced accordingly. Our "table salt" that John Clark refers to, may not be readily available to you. If it is, I'm pretty sure that lots of our home chemists have used it without problems.

We have a high postage problem too. The gourmet gurus tell us we should use "Fleur de Sel" imported from France (at vast expense).

Colin, I just took a look at a label of Morton's kosher salt. Besides salt, it lists "Yellow Prussiate of Soda" whatever that is as the only additional ingredient. They say that it is an anti-caking agent.

It gives no idea of the proportions, but it does provide what is to me the most interesting information. It says it's great for margaritas.

Hmmm... The kosher brand I have (Diamond Crystal) just lists salt as the ingredient. Anyway, sorry for the misinformation; not sure if it would be available in the UK either. I tried tracing it back to the parent company (Cargill) but no luck finding more info. It does work well for making palladium salt solution though.
    Last edited by Colin Graham; 19-Apr-2008 at 09:57. Reason: added link

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Graham View Post
    Hmmm... The kosher brand I have (Diamond Crystal) just lists salt as the ingredient. Anyway, sorry for the misinformation; not sure if it would be available in the UK either. I tried tracing it back to the parent company (Cargill) but no luck finding more info. It does work well for making palladium salt solution though.

If your are mixing NACL with palladium why not just purchase a pound or two of pure NACL from Photographers Formulary or one of the competitors? The cost compared to the palladium is nada. I use pure reagent grade NACL. What's a few pennys compared to tens of dollars?

Don Bryant

It's not really a matter of saving money, I love the color and consistency of my toner solution so why mess with it? Though I am curious now how much impact the grade of salt might have on it.
    Last edited by Colin Graham; 19-Apr-2008 at 13:27. Reason: missed point, I think

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

I use "ordinary sea salt", the kind that I get in the local shops on 5kg bags, for salt prints. If it were for Pd/Pt printing or similar the cost of a better grade would be negligible compared to the other ingredients - as it indeed is for salt prints.