Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How often do you use graflocks?

Re: How often do you use graflocks?

I use it for roll holders on my 2X3 Speed Graphics. Some of my 4X5 Speeds have Grafloks, and one of my 3X4 Speeds has it. I don't use those for roll film. To me, the ones on my larger cameras are just unnecessary. I also don't understand what the hoopla is about with Grafloks. I have small cameras for small film and big cameras for big film. Ne'er the twain shall meet.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    I use them for rollfilm backs and Grafmatics. When I'm shooting press-style with the rangefinder, I leave the groundglass at home and it takes a little weight off the camera, which I usually carry on a strap around my neck when I'm shooting that way.

I've also used the Graflarger back on my Tech V, before I found a 4x5" enlarger that fit in my space.
    David, I did that once, just for fun, not on a press camera, but with my Chamonix. I put a 75mm lens on it, with a 612 back. (coz no tripods or even professional cameras are allowed in the stadium) I sat under the press box and shoot at the field of Ohio Stadium in one of the regular season games last year.

They work great when using a roll holder and Pan F Ilford which is not available in sheets. You can use it and get view camera adjustments. Some times roll film is just a better choice. Graphmatics are nice too, a few of them compared to sheet film holders.

Better to have the choice even if you don't use that not have the choice at all?

I swapped my Tachi for a Gandolfi with a Graflok specifically to use two backs that I hadn't even conceived of thinking about when I bought the Tachi.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Davenport View Post
    I have two 4x5 cameras; one with a Graflock back and one with a spring back. Since I got a Calumet roll holder, I haven't ever felt the need to use the Graflock.

However, I refuse to use Grafmatic holders in my field camera because they are much thicker than the Calumet roll holder, and I think the Grafmatic might be too much for the spring back of the field camera.
    What type of field camera do you have Alan? I'm the opposite of you - I use nothing but grafmatics in my Technika, and have never experienced a problem with trying to insert the holder.

Granted, I used to have a 45N, and I seem to remember that the spring back on that camera was pretty tight.

The newer Readyload backs have slots for Graflok backs. I don't know about Quickloads, but wouldn't be surprised.

I think some of the 6X12 and 5X7 backs also may mount with Graflok mechanics.

What's wrong with Graflocks ? I use it all the time: Wista 67 back and Calumet 612 back.
    Toyo 45 CF | Sinar P | Sinar F2

Quote Originally Posted by KenM View Post
    What type of field camera do you have Alan? I'm the opposite of you - I use nothing but grafmatics in my Technika, and have never experienced a problem with trying to insert the holder.

Granted, I used to have a 45N, and I seem to remember that the spring back on that camera was pretty tight.
    It's a Tachihara (well the label says Calumet Wood Field XM.) The springs just feel a little soft for the size of the Grafmatic. I have no problems using Grafmatics in my monorail, under the glass or using the Graflocks.

The only time that I have ever used mine is to mess with the film backs and see what they look like on the camera. Ive never actually used the back so technically Ive never used the locks.

Quote Originally Posted by Turner Reich View Post
    They work great when using a roll holder and Pan F Ilford which is not available in sheets.
    I use this film with a Horseman 6x12 back a lot.

Darr