Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So what is an ISO 9001?

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: So what is an ISO 9001?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Rösler View Post
    My contact sheets seriously challenge that assertion...
    I, too, could qualify for a ISO negative-9001 certification!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    John, if you'd just submit to purchasing the high-priced stuff you wouldn't have to worry about the boasts of the second-rate manufacturers. I'm not objective, though; having worked for EK for 19 years, I'm sticking with the film made in my home town. Despite their idiotic marketing decisions, their product is still superior. I've tried British and ?european? films, and always go back to Tri-X Pan.
    Mark,

I'll submit to the high priced film if the project demands it (really really demands it!) It is the high priced boxes (note the plural of "box") that I'm really ticked off about But that belongs in a different thread anyway.

Personally I have no complaints with the Foma, Ilford or Efke films I have tried, but others here have raised concerns over QA. What I was curious about is what prompts such concerns even when the manufacturers are billed as having "attained the prestigeous ISO 9001?"

From what I've read here so far, film that is or isn't ISO 9001 dosen't have a meaningful impact on consumers anyway. My guess is that it is advertising "puff" from Freestyle.

I'm OK with that, as long as my negatives come out OK. That's what matters to me.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

My company went through the ISO procedures. Essentially, it states that you must have quality management processes in place and have a system that leads to continual improvement. More simply, it means that you state what you are going to do, and then verify that you did it. But most importantly, and more the reason for it, is that it created an industry of individuals and small companies that will handle the certification process for you for an extraordinarily high fee. Those are the people that benefit wildly. Not the customer.

John-
    I don't disagree with you at all about EK's stupid decisions. I just prefer TXP and am reluctantly submitting to $1.00/sheet for 4x5. Your comments about advertising "puff" seem to be right on. May your negatives all come out OK, and may all your pictures be much better than that!
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    John-
    I don't disagree with you at all about EK's stupid decisions. I just prefer TXP and am reluctantly submitting to $1.00/sheet for 4x5. Your comments about advertising "puff" seem to be right on. May your negatives all come out OK, and may all your pictures be much better than that!
    MS
    Mark,
    I'm with ya about TXP!
    Only shooting 8x10 that is $4 a sheet
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I didn't choose my words well. When I said the product might be "crap", I meant that it is fundamentally bad by design. With certification, you will do a very good, quality-managed job of manufacturing a poorly-conceived product.