Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Negs for Platinum

Negs for Platinum

After many years of trial ,error,and personal testing I feel my Tri-X negs will pretty much print themselves in silver.Lots of detail in shadows and highlights.Good contrast on #2.Skin tone is most important.Usually I expose @iso 200 and pull development.
    I am starting to use 8x10 for a portrait project for contact printing.
    The main use will be platinum.
    Since my negs are IMO perfect for silver, I know I need more denisty for platinum.
    Do I need to make a dupe(either digital or film)to save my original for future silver printing, or can I develop a bit longer and still have a decent original.What happens to that 8x10 tonality in second generation if a copy is made?
    Obviously it would be great to stay with the original with the cost of an 8x10 scan.

Re: Negs for Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by bwaysteve View Post
    After many years of trial ,error,and personal testing I feel my Tri-X negs will pretty much print themselves in silver.Lots of detail in shadows and highlights.Good contrast on #2.Skin tone is most important.Usually I expose @iso 200 and pull development.
    Since my negs are IMO perfect for silver, I know I need more denisty for platinum.
    Do I need to make a dupe(either digital or film)to save my original for future silver printing, or can I develop a bit longer and still have a decent original.What happens to that 8x10 tonality in second generation if a copy is made?
    Obviously it would be great to stay with the original with the cost of an 8x10 scan.
    A simple and quick answer is that you can create dual purposed negatives if you use staining developers.

Don Bryant

Your negs might be just fine. I would not change anything without trying them first.

You might want to try ziatype printing. This is a p/p like process that works much the same way. Contact Bostick and Sullivan and talk to them and/or read Eric Biggerstaff's articles in the March 08 View Camera and the one coming in the May issue.

steve simmons

Thanks Don and Steve ,These are both great suggestions.The Ziatype looks really unique and of course I have seen prints from Pyro negs.
    If I did want to do a scan and enlarged neg what can I expect to happen to tonality or grain in going from 8x10 to 16x20 or 20x24? I know years ago copy negs always blocked up the shadows and blew out the highlights.With a digital neg this is less of a problem I suppose.Thanks ,Steve

Quote Originally Posted by bwaysteve View Post

You should be able to print pt./pd. with the so-called Na2 method that is promoted by Bostick and Sullivan. With this method of contrast control it is possible to print negatives in pt./pd. that were originally developed for silver printing.

For your future negatives, do as Don Bryant suggests and switch to a pyro staining developer. That will give you a negative with different effective printing contrast, one contrast for silver, another for pt./pd.

Another option is to scan your B&W negatives and make digital negatives for printing pt./pd. That is the procedure that is being followed today by many of the top pt/pd printers.

Sandy King

Another option is to take two negs per set-up...expose and develop one for silver printing and the for platinum printing. I do this for making negs for both platinum and carbon printing, but then I am an analog sort of guy.

Vaughn

In the desert...

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Another option is to take two negs per set-up...expose and develop one for silver printing and the for platinum printing. I do this for making negs for both platinum and carbon printing, but then I am an analog sort of guy.

Vaughn
    Vaughn, could you give a same scene examle of this 2 neg exposure process?

a. exposure and develope for silver

b. exposure and develope for platinum

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten View Post
    Vaughn, could you give a same scene examle of this 2 neg exposure process?

a. exposure and develope for silver

b. exposure and develope for platinum

Thanks
    I actually do not expose/develop negs for silver printing anymore...it has been almost 10 years.

But if I have a scene with 7 or 8 stops of light measured (say, on my Pentax spot meter the reading go from 3 to 10), I would expose at 5 and might use Ilford's Universal PQ developer at a dilution of 40:960 at 68F for 6 minutes for a platinum neg. For the same scene I might use 60:940 at 70F for 6 to 8 minutes for a carbon negative.

The odd looking dilutions are just my way of figuring things out to have a liter of working solution for 5 negs in my Jobo 3005 Expert Drum. I am afraid I do not have a rigid exposure/development method based on testing. I tend to just hold a finger in the air and check the wind, and go for it based on previous negs and printing experiences. Works for me most of the time. But I usually do not recommend others basing their development using my times.

I "never" use contrast agents for my platinum/palladium prints -- and if the neg has too much contrast for pt/pd, then they'll make great negs for my way of making carbon prints.

Vaughn

In the desert...

Thanks

I think that the type of enlarger you develop your negs for will make a difference. I have a friend who uses a diffussion enlarger that require denser negatives. His negs produce great silver and platinum prints. I use a condenser enlarger so I end up taking 2 different negs if I want the choice to print with silver or platinum. I also agree with everyones assessment on Pryo, I started using it about 15 years ago and will never go back.

Best

Tom North