Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A krummy deal from Kodak?

Unhappy A krummy deal from Kodak?

I just checked Badger Graphic's site to buy some 8x10 TXP, which has been my predominant emulsion for quite a few years now. The cost for five ten sheet boxes now totals $209.75 without shipping .
    Now I kind of expect prices to gradually go up over time, but this is insane! IIRC 50-sheet boxes were around $148. Thats over a 1/3rd increase and I've got to wonder how much of it is going to pay for all those boxes?

I have no complaint with Badger Graphic btw---they are still my first choice for Ilford and Kodak film (probably more Ilford and much less Kodak in the future!)

Has the cost of TXP roll film gone whacky as well? If not then I can only assume that the Great Yellow Father in Rochester is gouging us on packaging.

That can't be a good business plan.

What do you think?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: A krummy deal from Kodak?

John, I don't know how long you've been in the photo business, but, if you go back to when Nelson and Bunker Hunt tried to corner the silver market in the late seventies or early eighties; you might remember that VPS film went from about $1.30 a roll to about $3. something a roll in just a few weeks. Kodak, of course, claimed that the increase was due to the silver market.

A few weeks or months later, when silver went in the tank (after the FTC got the Hunts by the balls), dropping from about $55.00 per ounce to about $5.00 per ounce, Kodak claimed that the price reflected some sort of R&D factors and did not lower it one cent.

This is nothing more than the same 'who gives a f... about the customer' attitude that they've had for at least those four decades!!!! Business as usual. And, don't even begin to get me started about the great Kodak/Polaroid debacle over instant film technology. Guess who got to pay for that multi billion dollar settlement.

I expect that George and Edmund are embarrassed beyond belief at how their companies have devolved in customer regard.

Two of the worst managed companies in American history. Too bad they're also two of the best at technology and we need that technology!

Sorry to rant, but I expect NOTHING but trouble from either one of them.

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

$5 a sheet for TMY 8x10 at B&H! 8x10 just became ULF.

Maybe that's the strategy--make people think: "well, if I'm paying this much per sheet for 8x10 and buying it in 10-sheet boxes, I might as well shoot 11x14!" Even though 11x14" is about twice the price of 8x10" with the new pricing scheme, I have to admit, I just had that thought myself.

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Take a look here

http://www.kitcosilver.com/charts.html

Look at the one year chart alone. The 5 and 10 year charts how you what's the real, long term trend.

The issue is this - the US dollar is taking a beating against other world currencies. That's reflected in the rise of precious metals like silver, gold, etc.

On the other hand, we heard about the new T-max - what, at least 6 months ago? I still cannot find it or buy it up here in Canada, despite the fact I live only a 4 hour drive from Rochester, NY. Just checked the other day at my local photo store again - nada. They still haven't gotten anything about it yet.
    *sigh*
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

For 50 sheets of 8x10, Ilford (HP5/FP4+) costs $80 less than Kodak (TMY/Tri-x) with nyc sales tax factored in. Hopefully Ilford keeps their price point to grab a bigger market share.

Geos

I just bought some 8x10 B&W film yesterday, for an upcoming trip, and was floored by the price increases. It now costs what chrome cost just a year or two ago. Last year's 200-sheet 8x10 photo trip was a bargain compared to the $1000+ it would cost for a similar trip (including DIY processing) this year. Ouch. Where's that 39mp 'blad?

Hi John,

Gads, this sounds like a discussion about the price per gallon of gasoline!!!

I've now gone the Ilford route personally. Fingers crossed on what Pete said about the market share.

Joseph,

The new T-Max in 4x5 has been on sale here in Vancouver for the past month and a half. Contact Beau Photo and I'm sure they'd be happy to send you out whatever you need (in 4x5.) Don't know about larger formats though.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Freestyle still have the old TMY in 50 sheet boxes. Stock up while it last.

jan

Silver prices and dollar devaluation not withstanding, the price spread for 8x10 works out (and I'm not a math whiz by any means) to around $2.00/sheet for Eastern European stuff, $3.60/sheet for Ilford and $4.00/sheet for Kodak TXP.

As much as I've always liked Kodak TXP I can't say that it is worth that much difference to me as I can get supurb results with Foma-oid, Efke and Ilford. For professional 'togs who require Kodak's QA I guess $4/sheet might be worth it but for an amateur/hobbyist/student I just can't see a .40 cents (much less $2) a sheet difference as being anything other than a encouragement to switch horses.

It would be interesting to know what the price spread is between Acros, TMY and Delta 400.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White