Thread: Why we are the elite

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Why we are the elite

I have come to realize, and have decided to make this my first post:

we are the elite of photographers. Not to sound like a nazi, but us guys(and some gals) that get our thrills out of using "ancient technology" are the elite of photographers, IMO.

the reason why i have come to this conclusion is the ever increasing popularity of digital. To be honest, i have seen some awesome work come off of digital hardware. But whenever I look at a print that someone has just spent the last 30 days working on in photoshop to make 'perfect', i have to wince.

I chuckle when i see people waiting in line at my local photo school( Tri-Community Photo Center, Covina CA), waiting for their prints for 8-10 hours after uploading, where as i can go into the darkroom, take out a sheet of paper, take out my negative, and make a perfectly acceptable print in about 20 minutes, tops.

But in a world where old-fashioned photographers like us on this site can come together and unite, great things can happen!

I work at a camera shop, behind the film counter, and to be honest, i have learned so much! My love for film has grown even more, and even though i have started to embrace digital in the sense of the technology shift; I still shoot film because that is what I am comfortable with.

Many people older than I(i'm 20) tell me that I'm chasing a dream(shooting film that is).

But all i can do is smile at them, and just go back under the darkcloth.

Blessings

dan
    Last edited by dsimaging; 10-Apr-2008 at 22:16. Reason: wrong color of text