Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacement bellows

Replacement bellows

Hello,
    I bought an 8x10 which needs new bellows. I know of Camera Bellows in England and I will also inquire Mark Kapono but I am wondering if there are any other options out there,

best regards,

Jan

Re: Replacement bellows

I just ordered up a set of 11z14 from Turner bellows. 300 bucks. I have used western bellows and the quality is nice, but it took forever and many annoying phone calls to get him to do it. It was more expensive than turner. With the dollar being what it is, you might find it expensive to use Camera bellows.
    Good luck
    Erik

I have not heard anything positive yet since Mark Kapono has allegedly resurfaced. Prior to recent confirmation he is indeed alive, there have been many posts on various sites about lack of communication/responses, and in some cases after payment was made.

So, it would be prudent to find recent confirmation of followthrough on an order before considering that a viable option.

I can say that I have never gotten any responses at all over a period of more than a year, so obviously I didn't send any money.

I emailed Mark today and received 2 responses from him. He quoted a price of just over $400 for my 11x14 Seneca bellows and said 7-10 days in house.

What have the problems been?

Jan,

What camera?

I have to put in a plug for Camera Bellows in the UK, and mention one other option.

Last month I replaced a "standard" Phillips 4x5 bellows with the current Phillips "lightweight" bellows (which Dick Phillips has made at Camera Bellows). It is indeed a far more flexible bellows, and really transforms the camera.

I brought the bellows to the post office in Minnesota Thursday, it reached CB Tuesday, and they sent the new bellows out late Wednesday. It arrived the following Monday. Shipping cost about $30 each way (for express mail), the bellows cost 85 GBP. You likely can get a cheaper bellows, but you won't find a better one with less trouble.

The other option (if they still exist)---about ten years ago I got a Deardorff 5x7 bellows from Flexible Products Corp. in Florida. Not as nice a bellows as the CB (heavier, stiffer, more rubbery material), but perfectly serviceable, quite a bit cheaper (but it was a while ago...), and hassle free. I wouldn't be happy with this bellows on my Phillips, but it was perfectly fine on the Deardorff.

Until later,

Clyde

Well, certainly is not a Phillips, not even a Deardorff. It is a humble Burke and James.
    Thanks to all,

Jan

The problems I had were simply no response, but have read many angry pitchfork & torch posts about payments made & no communication for a very long time.

One guy contacted the university Mark reportedly works/worked at & they confirmed his presence.

I hoped that he just needed to get his act together & would follow through.

If you Google (not a verb) him, you will probably find some history. I was also contacted by a couple people telling me to steer clear when I posted an inquiry about communications.

Maybe there was a reason for the low profile and it'll all get better. Just do some research first.

Dave Karp

Jim at Western Bellows did the new bellows on my Improved Seneca. No problems. No irritations, really nice work.

I had Turner make a new bellows for my 8x10 Ansco in the early eighties. Still looks perfect and works like a charm. They're on my list for my ancient Century Studio View in the near future.

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg