Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Large Format on a budget

Large Format on a budget

Go with the Speed or Crown (or Super). Low priced, rugged, and capable. I love my SG. If you get a Speed, dont bother with the focal plane shutter. Just leave it open, and use the leaf shutter in your lens. And dont rule out older 'press' lenses for starters. They are usually sharp, just limited in coverage. This can be a very inexpensive setup, and you can then evaluate what you want. You can always buy better lenses, and use them with your SG. If you find that the Graphic cant meet your needs, you can sell it, maybe even at a profit! Long live the Speed Graphic!!

Large Format on a budget

What does "CLA" mean? I see it in Roger's response above, and I can't figure out what it refers to. Thanks for the help - Bill

Large Format on a budget

If you haven't used a 4x5 before, try renting one first and play with it for a couple of weeks. Shoot a box if you can, and get the stuff developed if you don't do it yourself. When your done you will either be hooked and will want a better camera, or will be annoyed at the process and cost and will look into something in a smaller format like 6x7 or 6x9 with a rollfilm back. For landsape shooting with backpacking I've gone the 6x9 route. Lighter, less expensive with film, and developing. Big enough image and no film holders.

Large Format on a budget

The various press cameras (Crown, Speed, and Super Graphics, B&J Press, Meridian, et al) are all capable of fine photographs in the right hands. Nonetheless, these cameras do have limitations that you need to be aware of.

Press cameras in general, and the Crown and Speed in particular are severely limited in movements. While many landscape photographers rarely use movements, many (perhaps most) frequently use them.

Another major limitation of these cameras is their small lens boards. While Graphics can certainly be fitted with some great glass, you'll be somewhat limited in your selection.

Bellows extension is another limiting factor. A 90mm lens is about the shortest you can expect to work on a press camera, While a 300mm won't focus closer than infinity.

These are fine cameras, and if you can live with the limitations, they will serve you well. If you feel the need for more movements, etc.(and you don't mind the extra weight and bulk of a monorail), I would suggest that you look at the Graphic View or the Calumet C400/Kodak Master View.

Finally, if you are certain a Crown or Speed Graphic is for you, don't pay extra for a graphlock back unless you are planning to use graphlock style roll film holders. For more info, check out www.graflex.org

Large Format on a budget

Thank you for all the responses! One more question what is the difference betwee n the current crop of "field cameras" i.e Horseman, Linhof and Toyo and the Graphics? Specifically the Super Graphic?

Thanks

Large Format on a budget

I gave my Crown to a friend a few years ago and have been shooting mostly 8x10 and roll film. Then a couple months ago I found a really nice Crown at Glazer's in Seattle for just a hundred bucks, and bought it. I used it quite a bit on a recent trip and couldn't believe what a joy it was. The camera has an inch of rise and all the downward tilt you will ever need if you reverse the front standard. You can focus a 75 mm lens on it okay and a 210 will work well also. This means you have pretty wide through sort-of-long focal lengths to work with unless you get one of those fabulous f5.6 Wollensak teles (15 inch focal length). You can shoot verticals but lose tilt if you do, and most of your rise. Tilt and rise are about the only movements I use in landscape photography (though I use both of them on nearly every shot) so the Crown suits me very well. It is light, sturdy, cheap, small, readily available, and takes the lenses I tend to use. I don't like 4x5 format as much as others, but there are times it is ideal and the Crown sure works for me. You can take the $1,400 you save and spend it on film, gas, and photographic expeditions!

Large Format on a budget

Joe, When I got into LF, I too thought of the budget option and started looking at cheap entry (used) kits. Unfortunately the nature of the LF beast is such that you WILL get bitten by the bug and then find yourself looking to improve or upgrade your equipment. The budget option is not always the best financial sense! If you are not sure, I would find somewhere to hire an outfit from and use a stack of polaroid just getting a feel. This will cost, but the savings long term will probably offset this outlay. LF has a steep learning curve!! So don't be disheartened if you don't get the hang of it straightaway, simply enjoy the learning experience!! Get a good outfit (spend some cash!!) and pick the brains of posters on this site, they have helped many of us "newbies" more than I can say!! Best of luck Paul

Large Format on a budget

I think that the oder Arca Swiss cameras provide an excellent value in an LF camera. They don't have the international Graphloc backs, so 6x9 is possible only if one purchases the Calumet 6x9 backs. But, for 4x5, they're a good camera. They can often be found in the $400 range. Some of the equipment that one would purchase for this camera is usable on current models. (e.g. lensboards, rails, lenshoods.)

Large Format on a budget

On the other hand, if you spend a couple hundred bucks on a Crown Graphic at www.photo.net or ebay or wherever, and decide it isn't for you, you can sell it again for more or less what you paid. (Probably less, but probably not a whole lot less.) God knows I've made use of this phenomena often enough.

Large Format on a budget

CLA = clean, lubricate, adjust

Re: mono-rails vs flat-bed fields: I got my mono-rail after my flat- bed precisely because of problems with field work and the flat-bed. With my Toyo, racking out the focus in cold weather was a slow, painful process (arthritis); I got the mono-rail so I could fast focus, then fine adjust.(I'm keeping both, so I have advantages of both.)

While a flat-bed is best if you're backpacking, or working away from your transportation, a mono-rail can certainly be used, too. They each have their advantages and dis-advantages. Best advise: try before you buy.