Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: A new line of Chinese pictorial lenses!

Re: A new line of Chinese pictorial lenses!

I went to the Dollar store and found a 14" 1F99c lens in mint condition in original package with instructions and it was a "buy it now" so I took a huge chance and went for it. Turns out it's not coated but what the hey it's new glass and what an image it projects. I just put it up to a wall with a window on the other side of the room and the image is clear and bright with that beautiful pattern it is know for. They really knew how to make them in '09. You don't get deals like this every day do you? And it's fast too, about f 4.0. It's a barrel lens but it can be adapted to a shutter, like a hat very easily. Too bad I couldn't find a serial number but it was made in the Far East, I know that for sure.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

As mentioned earlier in the thread, Rodenstock might be able to coat it for you. And I'm sure S. K. Grimes could mount it into a modern shutter. I'm sure it's worth the investment, as the lens would at least double, perhaps even triple in value!
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

1F3.00M lens multicoat?

What about a homemade coating? A decent lens shade is necessary too.

More pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    The only problem is that there will now be a big run-up on the price of magnifying glasses (as with old brassies), and the dollar stores will be forced to stop carrying them.
    .. or, inflate the store name accordingly. Great thread, great pics, can't wait to give some of this a try. Thanks for the OP.

Mark started this thread back in 2009. Since then all the magnifying glass lenses have mysteriously disappeared from all dollar stores nationwide. Rumor has it they were bought out by a soft focus lens entrepreneur, who is working with toilet paper tube vendors, and is preparing to market a new pictorialist lens.

funkadelic

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    Mark started this thread back in 2009. Since then all the magnifying glass lenses have mysteriously disappeared from all dollar stores nationwide. Rumor has it they were bought out by a soft focus lens entrepreneur, who is working with toilet paper tube vendors, and is preparing to market a new pictorialist lens.
    Are we to expect Dollar General to become Thousand Dollar General?

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    I think you're right! Only there's a catch to this!

He's now in Europe removing the very last stocks! It's not so that his old fashioned petzvals will eventually regain their royal position again! The new cardboard toilet mount was started as a rumor. The truth is painful and shows the lengths these rich entrepreneurs will go to to exploit us! Rich dentists and lawyers snapping up softfocus lenses for $5,000 and driving prices out of our reach is nothing to this. At least then, these fine new artistic tools are available for future generations and, perhaps, Cooke can copy them if we sign up and promise to buy enough for a limited run.

The reality is far worse than that and simply unconscionable.

I discovered in the Wall Street Journal, this morning, to my horror and disgust, that the revered lens is not going to ever reappear on the general market as the expected! They're open about it! It's a major coup. All the Photokina reports and APUG stories were a ruse! Sadly the WSJ reports that, even now, the entire stock of prized optics is being broken up to make micro lenses by the millions for the iphone 5!

I can't disclose who advised them on this matter, but incidentally, the WSJ also reports that an anonymous philanthropist has funded an unprecedented donation of free iphones to the entire population of Tonopah, Nevada. Jim Galli's wife, apparently, refused to make any statement, but reportedly has been refurnishing an addition to their house.

Asher

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Now gentlemen, don't panic! I have some very good news. I've been in contact with the good people at Cooke Optics, and since these lenses are so revered and in demand, they are going to introduce a modernized version, just as they did with the PS945. This new lens will be called the PoS99cent, and will be multicoated and set in a Copal 3 shutter. Suggested retail will be $3,995, so find a dealer and reserve yours soon!
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post

Hmmm. I'm wondering how those X-Ray glasses i ordered from the comic book would work...