Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stitching with MAC 10.3.9

Re: Stitching with MAC 10.3.9

Sandy, I have a Mac-mini that runs my scanner and I do my image processing on a Powerbook 15". They are both connected to the internet wirelessly. However, I also have a crossover ethernet cable connecting the two computers for transferring files. When I want to transfer files, I just mount the drive of the mini onto the laptop via Finder. All you have to do is set up the IP addresses for the Ethernet ports to something other than what your wireless IPs are (like 10.0.3.x) and you should be able to work. I've found no interference with internet traffic doing this.
    Laurent

Quote Originally Posted by ljb0904 View Post
    Sandy, I have a Mac-mini that runs my scanner and I do my image processing on a Powerbook 15". They are both connected to the internet wirelessly. However, I also have a crossover ethernet cable connecting the two computers for transferring files. When I want to transfer files, I just mount the drive of the mini onto the laptop via Finder. All you have to do is set up the IP addresses for the Ethernet ports to something other than what your wireless IPs are (like 10.0.3.x) and you should be able to work. I've found no interference with internet traffic doing this.

Thanks. This sounds like it would be faster than any other transfer system I have considered and won't cost me anything as I already have a long enough Ethernet cable to physically join the two computer. I don't understand exactly how to do this after I connect the computer but I will do a google search and should find some practical instructions.

Sandy

Sandy,

You need to use what is known as a crossover network cable to connect two computers directly. If you don't have it, you can use two regular cables and a network switch (or a hub). It shouldn't cost more than $30-40 and you could find it cheaper still.

Just google "Home Networks" or even look at Apple's site. They used to have a surprising amount of useful data if you search using the right words.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    a crossover network cable
    Sandy, it's important that if you connect the computers directly you use the crossover ethernet network cable. Best Buy sells them so you shouldn't have a problem finding one. The other way to connect computers that Marko suggested (ethernet cables connected to computers and an ethernet hub) is good also (and standard for small multi-computer networks), especially if you have a fair amount of distance between the computers. Mine are 3 feet apart so I used a 6 ft crossover cable.

Good luck, if you need help, I'd be happy to assist. Email me offlist.

Laurent
    Laurent

Recently we have found that sending files through Bonjour (iChat) is crazy fast on our internal network. Much faster then posting and pulling them down through the servers. If you get a router and a network set up at your this might be something to check out. Should take you 10 minutes to see if it will work for you.

Thanks,
    eyemagic