Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Swap from Wista Field to Sinar F

Hopelessly Lost

Swap from Wista Field to Sinar F

Ok, let me know if this is just nuts or a good idea.

I have a Wista 45sp that I love but am starting to think that I should sell it and buy a Sinar, here are my reasons...

I shoot a lot of old brass lenses and a lot of them can be quite large so I would like to have a larger lensboard to be able to mount them.

I am tired of being seriously limited by my what, 8" of bellows on the Wista.

I would like to be able to use a Sinar shutter with some of my barrel lenses.

Now, here are my concerns. Am I going to regret getting a Sinar due to the size difference? When it really comes down to it, I don't backpack with 4x5, I usually shoot out of my car so that shouldnt be an issue.

Please, weigh in on this - would love to know what others think.

Also, if I decide to switch, I will be selling my Wista, any takers?
    www.hollisbennett.com

Huh? Oh, right, keep moving.

Re: Swap from Wista Field to Sinar F

Hollis,

As cheap as you can find the Sinars and some of the other LF cameras now a days, why not just buy another one, then you will have the option?

Dave

PS, I have owned several LF cameras over the years, and one of the ones I really regret selling was my Wista...

I agree with Dave, but I kept the Wista, and sometimes when I want to walk a little, or just have the simplicity and ease of handling, I pull it out, instead of the other, bigger cameras. They don't bring too much on the used market, anyway.

tim810

My first LF camera was a Sinar F1. It was easily packable in an f64 backpack and fairly light. I especially liked the ability to go from a 58mm to a 240 with ease.

I actually have a good friend and teacher who is selling a 4x5 sinar p with a couple sets of bellows, rails, Sinar shutter. all are in good shape!! He also has lenses ranging from i think 90 or 65mm To 240mm in db mount. I am working on getting some pics now.

Pm me if interested
    Tim

Dittoes to Dave and Tom's responses. Sinar's on the used market are cheap. I have one for the studio with both F and P rear standard and an Ebony (similar to your Wista) for the field. The Sinar F was made for field (F) use albeit it is a little more bulky. Plus you probably can get adapter lens plates where you can keep your lens on the Wista plate and use it on the Sinar too.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

You could probably trade the SP for nice older Sinar P set. You see Fs sell for under $400 all the time. Or a Norma for $6-700 easy.

Find a good case that allows you to hang the camera upside down, ready to go, like one of the Tenba or Lightware view camera cases. And consider getting the super nice Sinar pan-tilt tripod head. Oh and probably a beefier tripod. But out of the car, that is an awesome set-up.

Yes, you definitely should consider using the Sinar pan tilt head over anything else. Built to hold a tank. You can get them for about $250 used.
    Greg Lockrey

Money is just a tool.

Hopelessly Lost

Wow, that was fast. Thanks for all the comments and info. Also, i was thinking that since the Sinar is such an adaptable and modular system i would maybe buy an 8x10 rear standard and bellows and could kind of have an all in one setup. Now, what is the difference between the F, P, and Norma setups as a whole?
    www.hollisbennett.com

Hopelessly Lost

What the Wista made for me today....
    www.hollisbennett.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hollis View Post
    Wow, that was fast. Thanks for all the comments and info. Also, i was thinking that since the Sinar is such an adaptable and modular system i would maybe buy an 8x10 rear standard and bellows and could kind of have an all in one setup. Now, what is the difference between the F, P, and Norma setups as a whole?
    F is a lighter (field) set up with friction type movements. P is a very heavy with precision micrometer movements. Very heavy for field use, but could be done. If you want to adapt a digital back or DSLR to your Sinar, the P rear standard is the way to go. My particular camera was an F and a P rear standard was added later. I guess that type of set up is called a C. The front standard being a F is very adequate since most of the heavy use is on the rear. They all use the same rail. Yes, you can get a 8x10 rear standard and tapered bellows. Sinars are very modular in design. Norma's are similar in design and I think (not positive mind you) that the parts are interchangeable.
    Greg Lockrey

Money is just a tool.