Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Photoshop CS4 for Mac

Photoshop CS4 for Mac

Came across this this morning

http://www.news.com/8301-13580_3-990...?tag=nefd.lede

Adobe is being raked over the coals, read the comments that go with the article. Now with Aperture supporting many of the plugs-ins I use (or more accurately about to), it may be time for a switch, "if" tiff's are supported. My trial ran out before I had a chance to try.

Times are changing,

Bob

Re: Photoshop CS4 for Mac

My prayers have been answered. I've been waiting for a 64-bit version for quite some time now. It's a bummer that it won't be out for OSX right away, but in due time. I personally use Windows, so, this can't happen soon enough.
    Mike Boden

www.mikeboden.com
    Instagram: @mikebodenphoto

Quote Originally Posted by Bob McCarthy View Post
    Came across this this morning

http://www.news.com/8301-13580_3-990...?tag=nefd.lede

Adobe is being raked over the coals, read the comments that go with the article. Now with Aperture supporting many of the plugs-ins I use (or more accurately about to), it may be time for a switch, "if" tiff's are supported. My trial ran out before I had a chance to try.

Times are changing,

Bob
    I have Aperture. It does not come even vaguely close to a replacement for Photoshop. It is a competitor for Lightroom.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Well, I just got CS3 for my Mac after 5 years of Elements 2.0. I think I'll be able to stand the wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    I have Aperture. It does not come even vaguely close to a replacement for Photoshop. It is a competitor for Lightroom.
    Have you tried the latest version? They have added a huge amount of editing capability to version 2.0/2.1. I tried it with some of my digital work and was impressed with the output. Up through 1.5, it was weak, I agree.

Bob

I actually haven't fired up Aperture in awhile or Lightroom which I also own. But I have kept up with all the developments. For what that is worth. There is no doubt that the new Aperture is a big improvement perhaps leaping ahead of LR, but its image editing abilities compared to PS are minimal. I can't remember the last time I did not use multiple layers or adjustment layers on an image. For that reason alone I have to open every image in PS. Personally I don't need an image organizing program which is the primary role of these programs.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Hi Kirk

I am interested in Lightroom as the first program files hit when they arrive at our location.
    I helps sort out the images very well and Katrin Eismann showed me some great sharpening and image nuetralization techniques in Levels that can be done very quicky before the image goes to PS for most of the editing work before printing.
    Apparently lightroom is being revamped to handle larger file sizes quite easily.
    The cleaner the file is before it gets to my computer the better and I think lightroom does have its advantages in some of these areas.
    I have no experience with Apeture, and limited in Lightroom ,but I think I will explore it further with my staff.

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    I actually haven't fired up Aperture in awhile or Lightroom which I also own. But I have kept up with all the developments. For what that is worth. There is no doubt that the new Aperture is a big improvement perhaps leaping ahead of LR, but its image editing abilities compared to PS are minimal. I can't remember the last time I did not use multiple layers or adjustment layers on an image. For that reason alone I have to open every image in PS. Personally I don't need an image organizing program which is the primary role of these programs.

Bob,

If I open up a raw file in PS I get Adobe Camera Raw 4.1. If I open a raw file in LR I get the same Adobe Camera Raw 4.1 tool set. I can also open Tiffs the same way if I want in ACR. Except for the advantages of image filing in LR, I don't see that there is any difference in image editing until you get to PS.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Sorta surprising. I have Classic on my iBook and use it to play a few old games. Otherwise they should be using Cocoa which is the latest.

While Photoshop has been my primary editor for years, I'm always on the lookout for something that can deal with 48 bit color images scanned at 2400 dpi from sheet film. With layers, my files quickly exceed the Gig+ range. And I hate to flatten files so my storage space is really hammered.

Many of the non destructive edits act like layers in the latest programs saving much file space, and potentially improving performance.

masking, gradients (BTW, look at Viveza from NIK - http://www.niksoftware.com/viveza/us...uncement.shtml) work nicely in CS3, are being moved across to Aperture.

Just a idea, I'm still Photoshop bound for the immediate future. But I see Aperture becoming less like Lightroom, and more like Photoshop.

Who knows, but Adobe is not as Mac friendly as they could be.

Just rambling,

Bob
    Last edited by Bob McCarthy; 3-Apr-2008 at 11:43. Reason: spelling