Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: More Tripod questions! (sorry)

Re: More Tripod questions! (sorry)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Saunders View Post
    I've taken the plunge and ordered a Feisol 3371 with CB50 ball head and centre column.
    Hmmm, I must say that, regardless of the tripod, a ball head may not be the best idea. Although I know of people who use them happily, I know of more who threw them out and got something like the Manfrotto 410 three-way head. You might like to also consider whether you will need to do low-level shots and thus whether the centre column is removable.

Quote Originally Posted by Joanna Carter View Post
    Hmmm, I must say that, regardless of the tripod, a ball head may not be the best idea. Although I know of people who use them happily, I know of more who threw them out and got something like the Manfrotto 410 three-way head. You might like to also consider whether you will need to do low-level shots and thus whether the centre column is removable.
    I do agree with you that I greatly prefer a three-way head (and have a Bogen 3030). But for backpacking the almost 2 pound weight savings of my Acratech is absolutely worth the frustration of using a ballhead. And since I've switched to arca-swiss plates, its now inconvenient to just switch back and forth.

My 3030 head on 3021 legs is almost 8 pounds.
    My Acratech on Velbon 630 legs is roughly 4 pounds.

This is a big difference, even for day hiking.

I have a pan-tilt head for use near the car, and a 1 lb ball-head for backpacking/hiking. It is not quite as easy to keep level etc. as a pan-tilt, but for hiking that is much outweighed by the weight savings, for me.

Interesting points. My decision was based on the fact I've used ball heads for the last 20 years with medium format, and prefer them. But I do appreciate large format maybe a little different. I'll give it a go and see how I get on. (it wasn't too expensive)
    Yes Joanne, the the centre column comes out, in fact it's an extra.

Dve, I think youve made an excellent choice. I'm also firmly in the ball head camp and use two of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Saunders View Post
    Thanks all for your advice. I've taken the plunge and ordered a Feisol 3371 with CB50 ball head and centre column. Much cheaper than Gitzo and hopefully similar quality.
    If I start posting loads of blurry photos, you'll know I got it wrong!
    I have the 3471 but the 3371 is the same thing but with 3 leg extension. It is just a little taller when you carry it in the field. I find with mine that I need only to pull 3 sections partialy out. With the fourth it is taller than me. Let us know how you like the CB50. I personnaly have a RRS head at 4 times the cost. Not many of us to date have bought the Feisol heads. I would be curious as to how strong they are a year or so after some good use.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Thanks all for your advice. I've taken the plunge and ordered a Feisol 3371 with CB50 ball head and centre column. Much cheaper than Gitzo and hopefully similar quality.
    Dave, i was looking at that model to, is that in stock?
    Should ad that it is the 3371/3471 and not so much the ball head.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Pedersen View Post
    Dave, i was looking at that model to, is that in stock?
    Should ad that it is the 3371/3471 and not so much the ball head.

Thanks.
    There site said they were in stock, but I won't hear for certain until tomorrow, or if I stay up very late tonight! (I'm on GMT, I think they're 5 hours ahead)

Glenn Mellen

A comment, no... make that more of a question about the Acratech ballhead mentioned by several:

I had read quite a few reports a couple of years ago about this ballhead having one problem... albeit a relatively small one for most usages. And that problem was, when firmly tightening up the ballhead, the position will drift off whilst being tightened. I therefore bought Arca-Swiss B1 and B2 ballheads, which doesn't have this drift.

As I recall from research done at the time I decided to go with Arca-Swiss heads, this drift from preset is common with most other brands (I had this same drifting when trying out Manfrotto ballheads... but don't have it using their panheads).

Nice to see some variety in the CF tripod camp now. Gitzo was the only CF tripod maker when I bought their G1228 Mk II in 2000. This tripod now supports an 8x10 system, and I'm still waiting for an unsharp picture due to tripod vibration. I sometimes think I may replace it for a bigger tripod when the 'Gear Acquisition Syndrome' hits, but I would have no real grounds for doing so. This tripod was money well spent (for once!)