Thread: Strange

Strange

I got myself a new old lens on e-bay. It arrived yesterday. The engravings on the brass read Standard Optical Co., Standard Symmetrical f6.8, Newark NJ, 8x10, Equi. 12 1/2. As suggested the lens seems to be of RR type and has maximum f6.8 aperture. It came mounted in the most barbarian way I have ever seen in the non-original Baush and Lomb brass shutter. I removed the lens form this non functioning shutter, cleaned the glass and tried it on Ilex #4 shutter. I initially wanted to have this lens mounted in this shutter. To my surprise the lens threads fitted the shutter, moreover, the aperture scale on the shutter begins with f 6.8. On the other hand it seems not possible that by chance this lens was indeed originally mounted in Ilex #4 as it is most likely much earlier then the shutter.
    What do you think of that? Anyone has some information on this mysterious Standard Optical Co. of Newark NJ?

best wishes,

Jan

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Re: Strange

Nothing in Kingslake's "A History of the Photographic Lens". Nothing in the Lens Vade Mecum either; the only lens maker in Newark was Hanovia, maker of an interesting-sounding meniscus soft focus lens called the Kalosat somewhere around 1920.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

I go an Standard Double Anastigmat F6.8 Equi 12 in barrel of said company. Judging by the look and the camera it came with, I guess mine to be from around 1900. Hope yours is in better shape than mine (makes a nice paperweight, but is otherwise unusable).

Mark, thank you for checking this. Too bad that there was nothing there.

big_ben_blue: it seems your lens was made by the same company as mine. Mine was actually advertised on e-bay as paperweight , and this is not the first time it turns a good deal. After cleaning the glass is almost pristine. I got read off the old shutter which I am sending for parts to Carol Miller at Flutot's and will mount it in the Ilex.
    I also would make a guess that my lens was made in early 1900 and this is why it is so surprising that it fits Ilex #4 which was made 50 years latter as far as I know.

Jan