Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Shoot 4x10 with an 8x10 camera

Re: Shoot 4x10 with an 8x10 camera

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Squires View Post
    snip...So a 4x10 holder is 1/2" wider or two 4x10 holders are 1" wider than an 8x10 holder.

I love it when I guess right! LOL!

Vaughn

Thumbs up Re: Shoot 4x10 with an 8x10 camera

Quote Originally Posted by Really Big Cameras View Post
    The plate ARCA-SWISS uses to mount their format frames to their function carriers does indeed have a dovetail-shaped profile - the same shape as the dovetail joint commonly used in woodworking.

The photo at the link is of a prototype 4x10 Conversion kit Really Big Cameras will eventually be building and offering for sale. For those who like to shoot verticals in this format we will offer an optional vertical orientation kit that will include a second dovetail mounting plate on the left side (when viewed from the rear of the camera) that will permit the back and bellows unit to be removed and re-mounted in the vertical orientation. With the addition of this optional accessory, it will be possible to shoot 4x10 vertical images with the camera properly upright with none of the stability issues you mentioned above.

Although you twice referred it is as a "beast", the prototype conversion kit shown in that photo is actually 2 oz. lighter than the same camera with the original ARCA-SWISS 171mm 4x5 rear format frame and 50cm ARCA-SWISS bellows. It is as light, or lighter than, other dedicated 4x10 cameras from Lotus, Canham, Shen-Hao and Wisner and is capable of using lenses from 90mm-450mm with the standard bellows.

Here is a photo showing the camera with full front rise with a 10mm Super Symmar XL (the widest current/recent lens that covers 4x10 with movements).

Kerry Thalmann
    Really Big Cameras
    http://reallybigcameras.com
    You big show off (drool drool drool)

I wanted to thank you for being a premier contributor to the LF world and especially for those that are Arca owners and have wanted conversion kits for who knows how long now! I know you will have different formats you will make available as conversion kits, but I have to say there is a large interest in the 5X7 category and always in 8X10. Arca stuff is "very pricey" and it is also quite hefty in terms of weight. I happen to prefer the look of your back/conversion of the rear standard over anything Arca does. I think you could even make a front standard that matches that rear one that also looks nicer. This would obviously become a full camera conversion (less function carriers/rail) which is not the intention of the kit, but it would be interesting to see your implementation of a front standard for the Arca that matches the rear fit/finish wise, and then adds in a few neat tricks here and there that the regular Arca or even one w/Orbix cannot do.

Unless people are "set" on having an Arca branded conversion kit at major prices, IMHO, these kits you will be offering will be better, less expensive, and a true relief for those spending even years trying to find that 5X7 conversion kit, a ULF conversion kit that Arca doesn't even have, etc. sizes people are demanding that Arca does not offer, etc. etc.

From all you have given to the community and will be bringing to the community with the Arca conversion, this will be a great success for every Arca owner.

Thumbs up Re: Shoot 4x10 with an 8x10 camera

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Squires View Post
    Thanks for the kind comments. I use an Epson 10000XL now so I can scan 7x17 (actually 7x16.5) and the Website Images are at 96dpi. I have three computers that I have access to and the monitors all make the website Images look different. It is tough to make low quality jpgs look good!

I measured my 8x10 fidelity holder width and 4x10 Canham / AWB holder width.

8x10 is 9 and 5/16"
    4x10 is 5 and 5/16"

So a 4x10 holder is 1/2" wider or two 4x10 holders are 1" wider than an 8x10 holder.
    Very interesting on the holder differences/measurements. I am curious what the inside dimension is when measuring from where where the film is held down by the metal grips or put it easiest, when you take the film out and develop it, cut out/frame around the lines that the holder puts on the film from holding it down, what is the exact size that you end up with? I'm curious if the extra width of the holder is to give a true 4"'s (i.e. 4.5X10 piece of film goes in) or if it is something like 3 7/8" or so by 9 5/8"?

Hope I'm making sense!

Re: Shoot 4x10 with an 8x10 camera

Quote Originally Posted by audioexcels View Post
    Very interesting on the holder differences/measurements. I am curious what the inside dimension is when measuring from where where the film is held down by the metal grips or put it easiest, when you take the film out and develop it, cut out/frame around the lines that the holder puts on the film from holding it down, what is the exact size that you end up with? I'm curious if the extra width of the holder is to give a true 4"'s (i.e. 4.5X10 piece of film goes in) or if it is something like 3 7/8" or so by 9 5/8"?

Hope I'm making sense!
    It is simpler than that. The size difference does not have anything to due with the film size. The long sides of both 4x10 and 8x10 holders are 1/2 wide. Two 4x10 holders have a total of 4 long sides (2 long sides each), for a total of 2" of total width of side pieces. A single 8x10 holder only has two long sides, for a total of 1" of side pieces.

Thus,

for two 4x10 holders... 4 sides (2") + 2 films (8") = about 10" total width for two holders

For one 8x10...2 sides (1") + film (8") = about 9" for one holder

4x10 film, like all sheet film is slightly smaller in both dimensions than the stated size.

Vaughn