Thread: Inkpress White Gloss Film

Inkpress White Gloss Film

Has anyone tried and been satisfied with Inkpress White Gloss Film? I'm looking for testimonials of this paper, and especially whether it comes close to a Fujifilm Supergloss equivalent for inkjet printers. (Note I'm printing with Epson K3 printers, R2400 and 9800, mostly the 9800.)

Thanks,

-Susanne

Re: Inkpress White Gloss Film

I heard it's the same as the discontinued Pictorico Hi-Gloss. If it is, it's wonderful for glossy inkjet prints - especially if you're using one of the older Epson pigment printers that don't perform best on glossy papers (which you are). Nice for black and white as well. BTW, there was a review of that paper (Pictorico) on outbackphoto.com a while back.

It's a really nice white film that work quite well with the UltraChrome and UC K3 inks (along with others). I haven't used the Fuji one but it does indeed compare quite well with the defunct Pictorico

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chini View Post
    the discontinued Pictorico Hi-Gloss
    Is this the product?

http://www.pictorico.com/index.asp?P...TS&Category=63

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    As far as I can tell the product is still being made, possibly as a new and improved verion as the link posted by Oren imples.

Does anyone know where I can download an ICC profile for this material for use with an Epson 2200?

Thanks,

Don Bryant

Finally I got ahold of some of this paper to test.

Though the paper unprinted looks like it has the gloss finish of some Fuji and Cibachrome paper, when printed with K3 pigment inks (Epson 9800) the gloss differential is high and the glossiness of the printed areas dulled. I assume the latter is a limitation of inkjet K3 inks (?) or a combination of the inks/paper (?).

The advantages are that the finish is ultra-smooth for a gloss paper, i.e. one does not see the wavy lines or "texture" typical of most RC gloss papers, and despite being thin (7mil) the paper is strong and apparently waterproof (though I did not do extensive testing of the latter). I found the image quality no better than other glossy papers, with a quality high-gamut color profile. The ICC profile provided by Inkpress is unusable - it has a very limited gamut, so I used a quality high-gamut glossy paper profile in my library.

Has anyone tested this paper side-by-side with the Pictorico paper? Is it indeed the same paper?

Both the Inkpress WG and Pictorico WG papers are very expensive, and I just don't see the cost-benefit against good RC gloss or the better fiber gloss papers, unless of course one needs the waterproof feature of the Inkpress paper.

Anyone have different conclusions? Comments?

Susanne; I have also tried the inkpress white film with my epson 4000 printer and I was somewhat disappointed. I have done just as well with Ilford galerie glossy paper. It has a considerable amount of gloss differential. I think that this is a fact of life with pigment ink. I have tried both epson and after-market ink. I was also put off with the 7 mil thickness/thinness of the product. I have used inkpress luster rc photo paper with quite good results. My wife uses it in her studio portrait work and likes it as well as the Ilford and epson paper. I am thinking about trying the inkpress warm tone rag paper for some black and white portraiture. Any comments?

I have used a few varieties of the inkpress paper with pretty good results.
    I have tried the warm tone rag for some black and white landscapes, but in limited quantities, and so far only 4x6 size. It has a nice look and feel to it, plan to test further for possible post card/greeting card use...